new to datsuns, just brought home a 510

"no i dont know him. but on the 30th im planning on going to the torrance crossroads for the meet."

In that case you will be lonesome. The Torrance meet is on the first Friday of the month, not the screwed up date carried over from some past month on the meetings notification board.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying a complete gasket set might be a good idea. L series engines will sometimes get a leaky head gasket, so might as well have gaskets on hand. Oh and keep checking the radiator level for the first few weeks, just in case the head gasket is starting to seep. I drove my L16 for over a year before it finally went, but added a lot of coolant all along. If I hadn't been watching the level, I'd have overheated it and probably warped the head.

Don't know about the clutch. Maybe have a local Datsun guy listen to it make "the noise". If you do the clutch, be sure to do the pilot bushing in the flywheel. I think that is in a clutch kit, but I'm not certain. Also, consider new master and slave cylinders for the hydraulic clutch, if this is going to be your reliable daily. I lost the slave in my 200SX and it happened fast, no warning. And I just did both cylinders on my 510, so it is fresh in my mind what a good idea this is.

There are a couple of easy to change bushings on the shift lever pivot pin. Easy to get to when you pull the rubber boot up. That might be something from Nissan and someone on here should have a part number.

Len

gasket set is already ordered. part numbers would be great!! and after a little digging i found the part numbers for new OEM heater hoses, hopefully they are still available.

"no i dont know him. but on the 30th im planning on going to the torrance crossroads for the meet."

In that case you will be lonesome. The Torrance meet is on the first Friday of the month, not the screwed up date carried over from some past month on the meetings notification board.

i thought that was a little strange that it said the first friday, then said the 30th...... oh well, see ya there i guess.

If you are running a stock 4-speed, there may be more to the loose shifter than on the 5-speeds I was thinking of. There still may be bushings for the pivot pin, but I recall there is a rubber lump on the end of the shift lever that may deteriorate. I was just going through my pile of shift levers last week finding one with good bushings for my 510, and I saw a couple of those older style, but don't quite remember what they look like. I'll check again this morning.

If you find out anything on the availability of any of the molded hoses, please post details. I may have just assumed they weren't available and didn't check with Nissan.

Seats - There may be at least one seat swap article in a back issue of DQ: http://dimequarterly...s-ordering.html

Probably some seat swap info here on Ratsun in the Interior category. You may be able to use the seats you have by redoing the brackets and adjuster rails. I've sat in a couple of For Sale 510s with really strange seat installations. Really low in the front and/or not even really bolted down, so the seat would rock fore and aft. If you redo your seats, please take some pics and post, especially if you end up moving the seat back some. I've got a pair of buckets waiting to go into mine as soon as a whole bunch of other stuff is fixed. DQ also had an article on replacement seat belt options. Probably using 40 year old seat belts isn't the safest thing. Another thing on my to-do list.

A good Datsun site: http://www.davidcmur...lddat/index.htm It's aimed at 620s, but most of the tech info is the same as 510s.

Len

Eric, go to Torrance Nissan, Rosenkranz at the 405. Get a Nismo catalog, they have solid metal replacement bushings for most transmissions used in Nissans and Datsuns listed in the catalog. Also other goodies to spend more than you should on! The parts guy I dealt with has moved on but there are still some old timers there who actually know what a Datsun is.