just got a 78 PU

jimmy dale

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '78 didn't use an external regulator so...

...rather than re wiring an external regulator onto it (I guess it's possible but adding 6 extra wires and joining them to your wire harness is looking for trouble later) get the proper alternator from a '78 or '79 620 truck. Car alternators are larger and won't fit properly.

ok well i got the right alt with the internal reg and the light went out and it is charging lolnow to go threw brakes and fix brake wire no brake lights other then that heater and wipers and all other lights work fine lol

used the infared thermomiter and the temp is 175 to 190 so the new 180 thermostat seems to be working just want a new rad cap always like changing them just for shits and gigles

If you look there are two small threaded holes between the lugs. A 12mm (head size) bolt will screw into each of these and when tightened, will push against the axle and draw the drum off. DO NOT over tighten or the drum threads will strip and then they are useless. The shoes should be adjusted inward so they won't drag against the drum. I had to do this before with stuck shoes and the drums tore the shoes and the anti rattle springs right off with them.

There should be a rubber cover over an adjustment hole on the bottom of the backing plate. Inside is a star wheel that needs to be backed off to release the shoes. Use a bent screwdriver. WD-40 sprayed it there may help. If the rubber covers are missing.... this is likely why everything is rusted and frozen.

ok thanks now i get to go look at another datsun guy has it in his yard and told me he wanted it gone

said he drove it there 3 years ago but being 2 wheel drive he has no use for it so the price is right free lol

early christmas will have to see what it looks like have pics of other one but have to have my girl put them on pc first

• 2 weeks later...

OK well the starting problem got a starter will see if it fixes the problem selonoide is bad i think clicks alot when starting lol

was at napa and he said no core charge they quit rebuilding them so if yo dont have a few to spare might want 1 or 2 will be going away soon

if you dont rebuild them lol

OK well i changed 2 different starters into it and it clicks is there a relay or something different

need it to start every time not just click click click  then start

Power goes from the battery through a fusible link then on to the ignition switch. When in the START position power flows from the ignition switch directly to the starter solenoid. If you have replaced the starter twice this indicates to me that it isn't the starter and the original starter was likely fine. Trouble shoot the problem before throwing parts and money at it.

Dead battery or not fully charged battery will not supply enough power to the solenoid or the starter for it to work properly. Jupm with cables from a known charged battery... does this solve the problem?

YES: find out if your charging system is working or if the battery needs replacing

NO: problem is the same.

Remove and clean the battery terminals. Don't forget the positive end on the starter and the negative cable where it bolts to the intake. Sandpaper and tighten them. Does this solve the problem?

YES: fixed

NO: get a volt meter and disconnect the small Black/Red stripe wire on the starter solenoid and test the voltage in the START position on the ignition switch. It should read close to 12 volts (the same as the battery with the motor off) if under 10 volts there may be a corroded connection at the ignition switch so unplug and plug in several times to clean the contact pins. The fusible link may be damaged or have bad connector contacts. Look near the positive terminal on the battery for a branch wire coming off it going to a pair of short Green and a single Black wire. These are the fusible links. The supply to the ignition switch is through a Green fusible link so inspect this wire carefully. If the plastic coating looks partly melted it may have blown. Use your volt meter and follow the 12 volts back until you find where it drops

• 3 months later...

found clips keep trying to bleed back brakes but they wont work

they work when i use the E brake but when applying peddal they dont even slow it down

when i have drum off and hold my hand on one side the other side moves so there must be some thing  to try

maby needs a new master?

or someone told me there is something between the front and back in the line that neds adjusted?

it is all fun till some one gets an eye poked out or a mouth full of brake fluid lol