Bought an '84 720 4x4 5-speed...

Kingman

For $500. It needed a head gasket and most of the engine was scattered about the cab and bed. Put a Stone head gasket set and a timing chain set on it and it runs pretty good. Already had a new radiator so that's good. Doesn't leak or burn any oil unless it's high RPMs. 251K on the clock. So far I've done that, adjusted the valves, new starter, fuel filters, new air cleaner assembly, new valve cover, blinker lense, and fixed some little stuff. Still got more to do... Unfortunately the bottom end is on it's last legs as is the transmission and rear diff (maybe). Engine knocks on start up and because the bearings are so loose it sometimes loses oil pressure at idle even with 20W50 weight oil. Countershaft bearings are bad in the transmission and the rear diff clunks and vibrates at just the right throttle position. Steering is pretty sloppy and the brakes are metal on metal in the rear and about to be that way in the front. Carb is getting a little wonky and there's some interesting ranky jank stuff going on that I gotta fix. I got a few free sheeds of HVO wood that I'm going to build a center console out of with a CB, gauges, cop holders, storage and subwoofer built in to it. It may end up being a pilot truck for oversized loads so I need to get it ready for that. New bearings, crank polish, transmission bearings, and check the diff out. New rear window, windsheild seal fixing, new combination switch, front shocks, all new brakes, tires, steering work and alignment, maybe a Weber carb, different seats, wiper arm bushings, 130A Villager alternator, etc etc.

photobucket-49104-1353385791054.jpg

photobucket-28216-1353536075613.jpg

photobucket-52208-1353536128198.jpg

photobucket-38487-1353536167766.jpg

photobucket-1345-1353536329014.jpg

A serious thought down the road is a VG33 with VG30 cams, port and polish, headers, 2.5" exhaust, MPFI Pathfinder ECU and wiring for simplicity (not OBDII), a 30A transmission, and an LSD H223B rear end with an extra cluch or two. I gotta trim the bed fenderwell anyway because I'm pretty sure it was originally a long bed truck, and stick some 31s under it.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The next gen truck '86- and up Hardbody with 4 cylinder Z24i, KA24E or KA24DE motors came with a high volume oil pump that will fit you Z24 motor. It will boost the low speed and idle oil pressure. It good insurance and won't hurt to have one even when the bearings are renewed.

If you haven't already check and top up the transmission (GL-4 80W90) and differential (GL-5 90W).

Are they the same pump as the 280zx turbos? I'm planning on running a higher flow pump of some kind but pricing may vary on that. No way I'm going to run a quarter million mile oil pump on a new bottom end lol.

The first thing I did after driving it and hearing the noise was check the fluid. Full of brand new GL5... looks like the guy tried to fix it by adding new fluid, being a crack head I'm sure he didn't know what GL5 does to the old Nissan trannies or he didn't care. I get MT90 for $9 a quart but I didn't even put it in, tranny is already screwed anyway.

I suspect they are the same but they all have different part numbers. This is likely the relief valve spring. Each motor that has one of these L24, Z24i, KA24E and KA24DE (the JDM Z18ET, LD28 Maxima and some Nissan L20B fork lift motors are also rumored to have them) has a different pressure setting. The outsides are identical but the rotors inside are longer.

I was at the junkyard today looking for some oddball stuff and was looking at seats to replace what's in there now. What are some good replacements that fit decently? An Infiniti G20 had some nice leather buckets that looked like they would fit alright but I want sure They wanted $50 a piece though so I wasn't ready to jump the gun on that one.

I was at the junkyard today looking for some oddball stuff and was looking at seats to replace what's in there now. What are some good replacements that fit decently? An Infiniti G20 had some nice leather buckets that looked like they would fit alright but I want sure They wanted $50 a piece though so I wasn't ready to jump the gun on that one.

Ha, I was looking at some leather buckets in a g20 today at the junkyard too... I'm gonna go browsing for some seats again tomorrow, if I don't find any better ones, I'm gonna buy those and throw em in mine..

I heard the z32 seats fit in there nice

Nice. Well if you do get them let me know how they fit. They're pretty comfy and have nice bolstering for that high speed cornering! Problem seems to be obviously seats with a thick back...

Nice. Well if you do get them let me know how they fit. They're pretty comfy and have nice bolstering for that high speed cornering! Problem seems to be obviously seats with a thick back...

I went again to the yard, and the ones I wanted were in worse condition than I remembered... A little torn, and I don't like settling..

I like the manual-reclining seats, of which I only found that one pair of..

There were, however, plenty of the electric seats there :confused: ...

I'll be keeping an eye out, those seem like one of the better-fitting seats for our single-cab 720's

I may try and get a set of WD21 Pathfinder seats in there and see how they might work. I'm putting an engine in an '87 for a guy and he's swapping a nice blue interior in to that from another parts truck he has. Said I could have the gray seats that are in there now.

• 4 weeks later...

Put a Weber on it tonight to solve a gutless and no idle issue. I'd say it worked pretty well! Fucker shits and gits. I need smaller air and idle jets for it, the smallest ones my kit had were 180/170 and 65/70. Adapting the throttle linkage was as easy as a vice and a BFH.

photobucket-4787-1356241004687.jpg

Haven't done much else to it yet other than tires and replace coolant hoses that kept blowing. First one was the one going under the intake manifold to the front of the engine, dealer only and a bitch. Second, a few days later, was the heater core hose alongside the back of the block. Only ones left to replace are the lower radiator hoses, and I s'ppose the ones going through the firewall.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fixed the alignment issue with new ball joints, some UCA spacers, and a torsion bar crank a while back. A driveway alignment made it drive pretty straight but the tie rod ends are so worn it's hard to get it "right." Good 'nuff. Found some very nice 30x9.50x15 MTs for $35 a piece and threw those on, fit like a glove. Damn these little trucks can go just about anywhere! (untill you accidently jump them and blow the front end out.) lol.

I put the truck up for sale for $1200 and got blown up, then a guy said he'd gladly give me $1500 for it if I held it for a few days. So it's getting sold along with my Z car. Good truck, served it's purpose, now it can be enjoyed by another outdoorsman. I put the back slider in yesterday for him and washed it. Gonna miss the little bugger. It's just not big enough for piloting.

photobucket-39071-1359845908390_zpsa9e2f

photobucket-37429-1359845909216_zps8156b

photobucket-15816-1359845907465_zps2fd56

photobucket-22244-1359845906635_zpsa66bc