How in $%#@ do I remove the 5 spd striking lever???

I have a rear transmission housing removed from an original 79 Datsun 620 pickup truck 5 spd transmission. I’m trying to remove the striking lever from the striking rod in order to replace the seal and O ring. This lever is the only thing keeping me from removing the rod. The nut and washers can be easily removed but I’m not having any luck getting the threaded lock pin out. I’m guessing it is either pressed in or it has a flat spot in it the shaft that has stuck with age.

I’ve tried squeezing it out with channel locks, hitting it with a hammer and so on. I left it at a transmission shop to look at. They were clueless. But instead of saying so, they said they wanted to drill through the case and then drill out the pin, thus leaving me without a lock pin…to the tune of $95! I went and picked it up before they could!

Anybody have an easier less damaging way to remove this???

trans.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no cotter pin like on a ball joint. Do you mean the threaded lock pin? The reversed mech is out. I was blocking the shaft against the case with a piece of wood to prevent bending it. Then I left the nut on the end of the bolt and was whacking that with a brass punch. Seriously difficult to balance the case against a block of wood, then back block the shaft. Afraid to whack it too hard for fear of bending the shaft or cracking the case? Might need another set of hands and a steel punch?