I found a Spring Manufacturer!!

Alchemist

Greetings everyone!

I've got exciting news - at least to me it's exciting.

I recently acquired a 1986 nissan maxima wagon and wanted to lower it. I just presumed that I could buy lowering springs online but that was not to be! I exhausted my search for lowering springs from the usual companies like Eibach, Intrax, ST, H&R, B& G, Tein, and are no longer available.

I located a Coil Spring Manufacturer who makes springs for other shops and distributors. He's been in the spring manufacturing business for over 20 years.

I did not want to employ coilovers in my suspension upgrade which is why I sought to have custom coil springs made.

Another option for those of you with wagons, instead of employing lowering blocks - (yes, I'm cognizant that blocks are the "economical" method for lowering leaf sprung vehicles) would be to have custom leaf springs made that would lower the vehicle to the height of your choice. When I had my Datsun 1800/610 wagon, I did not like the fact that my lowering blocks sat too close to the asphalt but couldn't find a manufacturer to de-arch my springs or make new ones. Just a suggestion!

I just left his shop and he was able to gauge my springs on the car and actually had the spring specifications for my 1986 2nd Gen Nissan Maxima Wagon.

The springs are made from "chrominum wire" cleaned up and powder coated. I saw some springs sitting on a table that were recently made and they look real nice - in black. I figure you could perhaps get any color for additional cost.

If you're wanting to get custom lowering springs made for your car, I suggest you call Bill and make your inquiry and he'll make his suggestions which I really appreciated.

If he does not have the spring specs for your car, you will need to supply him with the specs or even bring/ship him your stock springs. Again, you have to check with Bill.

Anyways, I expect to get my springs sometime next week - for me, this is a real quick turn around. I spoke with another spring manufacturer who quoted me a substantially higher price and a 4-5 week delivery. With that long of a waiting period I get concerned that my product order might get lost in the shuffle.

Bill's a real nice guy, takes the time to talk with you even though he's real busy - but he's got no time to chit chat!

Here's his contact number:

Bill: Owner/Engineer/Designer

Valley Spring Works - The Complete Spring Shop

340 Industrial Way B-G

Dixon, CA 95620

PH 707.678.3944

Fax 707.678.5225

email: valleyspringworks@att.net

Hours: M-F 8am-4pm

Hope this helps those of you who are having a challenge locating lowering springs - like I did!

Please tell Bill that Ernie with the 1986 Maxima Wagon referred you!!

Thank you.

Ernie

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i called 'offroad warehouse' to see if they offered leaf spring dearching and they pointed me to a spring company as well.

called them up and they told me that they could de-arch springs for about $200. exciting news for the both of us!

J H Christ? $200????? I got mine done by going on a Saturday and talking to the guy. He had to be available on Saturdays, was bored and probably didn't want to be there. He did both sides for $50 cash (beer money for that night) and it took about 1/2 hour as I had the spring apart.

On my 710 goon I had a second set of leaf springs. They tend to be more arched the longer they are. I removed a long one, 2nd one down, in my goon pack and added a shorter 3rd one down to double them up. Stiffer and lower.

Hi ggzilla,

I did a week long search in trying to find spring manufacturers/shops and only discovered a handful in the United States. The others referred me to actual spring manufacturing plants.

May I ask you please, how did you find the hundreds of companies that will custom make car springs?

As an example, I typed in "custom made car coil springs" "car coil spring manufacturer" in the search field and only a few actual spring manufacturers links appeared as the result. There were other results but not actual fabrication shops. Merely websites that had some sort of relation to the search tags.

Thanks.