620 KA24det build

RCStealth

Well I am obviously new here, so hi! I hope you will enjoy this build thread. Disclaimer: I move really slowly, so it might take a while for me to post/update how I am progressing. Anyway, I bought a 1995 240sx a little over six years ago with a blown motor with the intentions of building the motor, turboing it, and putting it back in the car. Long story short, I ran out of money to achieve that goal and because I was broke had to trade what I was driving for something cheaper. This led me to finding a 1986 Toyota (yeah, I know) :confused: pickup with a 7MGTE in it. After a while I got my CDL and am doing much better financially, which is where I am now. I have had so much fun with a little turbo truck that this got me thinking, "what if...". Then I found out about the 620, that really got the gears turning! 2,300 lbs - 350 or 400 whp... :devil:. Then I found ratsun.net and haven't stopped reading yet. There seems to be an excellent sense of comradarie that I love to read in the posts

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to find some one in my area who has done a SR swap in a 240 and has the stock KA so I can sell these coilovers to them and get the KA:

IMG_1143.jpg

I want to drop the stock KA into my 240, so that I can trade it on this 620:

http://www.cars.com/...sema&listType=1

Then a friend has a Turbo 350 transmission that I will hopefully (fingers crossed) be able to fit in the truck not to mention getting it attached to the motor. I haven't settled on a rearend yet. Does anyone have suggestions (Keeping in mind 400whp max goal)?

I want to drop the stock KA into my 240, so that I can trade it on this 620:

http://www.cars.com/...sema&listType=1

Then a friend has a Turbo 350 transmission that I will hopefully (fingers crossed) be able to fit in the truck not to mention getting it attached to the motor. I haven't settled on a rearend yet. Does anyone have suggestions (Keeping in mind 400whp max goal)?

Nice F10 Kingcab :lol:

I don't think the turbo 350 will bolt up to a KA.

You can add the image code to your picture links and the picture will show up in your post. Put before [ IMG] before your picture text and [ /IMG] after, leave out the spaces.

IMG_0033.jpg

"I don't think the turbo 350 will bolt up to a KA."

I will most likely have to make a custom adapter. After countless hours of scouring the internet, I think you are right about the availability of an aftermarket one. Called Mazworx yesterday and they do not offer the adapter either.

I found only one person who has mated the KA to a turbo 350 and he stated the use of a custom adapter.

Even if I could figure out how to mate the two, I don't even know if the tranny will fit in the truck. A lot of holes I need to fill...usually the case in any of my projects.

AMS use to sale an adaptor to mate a C4 to the KADE. That was the route I was looking to go but I could never get a clear answer on what torque converter I would have to use. So I pretty we'll abandoned that idea and will be using stock 240 5 speed until I find a decent z32 5 speed. Good luck on your build.

ya z32 or z33 trans would be much better...

The turbo 350 would be free vs. $xxx amount of dollars for the other transmissions. So, at the moment, I am choosing to stick with the turbo 350. My friend will definately help me with the fitment issues. Together we can be a little barking mad when there is a mutual off the wall project and will not stop easily, which has been both good and bad.

My transmission was only $75 at the pick n pull and it bolted right up to the motor. Much cheaper option and there are a few good stock transmissions to choose from.

But if you set on the TH350 definitley post pics of the adapter :D

Called Mazworx yesterday and they do not offer the adapter either.

Edit: Called Mazworx back today and they offer what they are calling a "midplate", which is a 3" thick piece of metal that is basically an adapter.

Might take me a while to jump on the adapter, but will update with a picture after I am ready to order it.

Now the only issue is what the heck torque converter do I need?! The Mazworx guy told me I would need to get a transmission shop to "customize" a torque converter in order for the tranny to function, but not sure how that works so :confused: .

2eDeYe' timestamp='1353081902' post='796156']

My transmission was only $75 at the pick n pull

You have the 720 transmission, correct? That might be the cheapest to get running, but the million dollar question is will this hold up to 400whp for very long?

sounds to me like this Turbo 350 is going to cost you more money than its worth. Plus you still won't have an overdrive gear which will make interstate cruising a pain. Do what ]2eDeYe said to do.

I guess the smarter transmission would be the z32 or z33. What I would like to use the truck for is a weekend street/strip truck, thus an automatic transmission would aid in consistant 1/8 and 1/4 mile times (I'm not trying to go overboard, just have fun). Also, I would also like to have a ratchet shifter purely for fun. I wouldn't mind not having an overdrive, because I am looking into the H233 rearend with the lsd and 3.54 ratio. I believe this would help on the interstate.

^^^^ probably not a stock s13 trans would be the best bet til you save some money up friend has been running one for awhile with pushing 350whp

I actually have the stock S14 5-speed transmission, that came with the car. I might just use that for now, but I am trying to plan for down the road.

Welcome

Please post the photos here

1. On photobucket, click "Direct Link"

2. Here, click the Image button and paste it in (press CTRL+P)

Thanks for the welcome! I just changed the format of my pictures to the correct way, i think. Thanks for the heads up.

2eDeYe' timestamp='1353111752' post='796419']

Don't know about their strength or reliability though.

Long-term, that is my main concern. The motor is fully built and capable of about 750whp, obviously I wouldn't use all of that in a 620, but reliability and strength are very important. I am just trying to weigh my options and choose the best option available. I know that a lot of people have switched to the automatic VG transmission for drag racing, so I know this is a proven route to go. Really, the heart of is I just want to have fun and breaking parts is no fun.

Thank you all for the advice! It has helped tremendously.