something unusual happened today

'79 620, lapped valves, replace head gasket, intake gasket, timing chain kit, etc. Finally got it back together today. Filled with antifreeze. Turned the key and cranked for a bit till gas got to the carb.

The unthinkable happened!!!!

It started up!!!! Go figure. :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The engine had a noise coming from the valve cover, like the timing chain was getting slapped around. It also had an antifreeze leak, a couple of times I didn't catch it in time and overheated. The last time, I smelled a/f in the exhaust so I thought bad head gasket. No evidence of water in the oil. The hose that you almost have to take the carb off was bad. Since I thought the head gasket was bad I decided to get everything done at once.

The straight timing chain guide was broken at the top bolt, so the noise must have come from the guide slapping against the bolt. It broke at the hole, but the bolt still had it captured so it didn't go anywhere. I didn't see anything on the head gasket that failed. I replaced the hose that went to the intake. I had another head I picked up earlier and had it shaved to clean it up. It still had the bronze seats which were in great shape. I lapped the valves and started putting it all back together.

I will have to check the head I took off and see if maybe it cracked due to the couple of times it over heated.

I will keep an eye on everything as I put more miles on it.