1972 521(1600) weber conversion

redrooster

I am new to this thread and just purchased a 72 521-1600. I am wanting to swap carb to a Weber. Which is better the Wk657 or the Wk663, i know one is Manual choke and the other is Electric, just wondering which is the preferred. Thank you, im loving the forum! Still have a lil paperwork to get done on truck, but making a WISHLIST.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm a noob to this forum but I've had my 510 for a few years I used the manual choke weber on mine l16 but sometimes I wished I kept the hitachi. So what's wrong with your stock carb? I found that the weber 32/36 almost too much for my l16 and I run on the rich side no matter what I do and have to play with it too much. I ran the hitachi for two years and never really had to mess with it but got ambitious and wanted power so got a weber didn't really notice too much change other than I'm playing with it too much. So now I'm doing a engine swap ( after its done of course) for the power I want. Plus the stock carb will save you money for all the other stuff that you find that needs to be replaced once you start driving it.

The man i bought my lil truck from, dismantled it and lost/forgot parts on how it goes back together. I havent really looked at it myself, so i was looking into a conversion. ty for your fast comment. Someone told me the Weber was hard to adjust, but that was his opinion from another project.

Ive got an 32/36 electric choke weber on my l16....I love it myself. Gets great gas mileage and idles right at 650 rpms. Installed it and set mix and idle once. Got a great tan color on my plugs as well. Oil does get a little on the fuely side deep into an oil cycle. Also running a matchbox dizzy.

And use some lock tite on the adapter bolts!!! I know this from cutting corners myself. :blush:

Jeff

Well it's an easy just not cheap solution to having a box of carb parts. Just remember that too many people do a carb rebuild when it's not needed I got the story of the "carb needs to be rebuilt" when I got my car. When I got it home I could have driven a truck through the points and the plugs were fouled he stopped driving it cause it stopped running and assumed it was the carb at fault (the mistake that so many make) I didn't even touch the carb the car ran fine after replacing the ignition components. Not trying to rain on your new purchase just make sure everything is in good order when adjusting the weber that will make it easier.