Z22S 2.2 Help....

Ok So i am new to Datsun/Nissan's I just traded my 83 s10 for a 82 datsun 720 has the Z22S also known as the 2.2. Well the truck struggles on idle a bit other than that runs pretty good. I have the Weber carburetor set up saved on my comp so I'm gonna re adjust the carb back to Webers factory Specs (Link below). I just have some questions about the engine its self?

http://www.carburetion.com/weber/adjust.htm

• Is the valvetrain normaly noisy on these engines?
  • What the the red wire go to in the picture below? This thing has a weber on it.
  • Are they junk engines?
  • Also in a pic below there is a random vaccum line plugged would like to know where that leads and hook it back up.
  • Is there anyone that has the vaccum routing diagrams on there computer?

59461_376777895739263_1943486749_n.jpg

557826_376777992405920_212256732_n.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All you need is that blue wire for the Weber/choke....forget about the red

Set valve lash with engine warm

I believe that plugged hose went to the stock air cleaner....can confirm from the link below....

http://720world.ning...9:Comment:26064

Thank your sir!

Is the valvetrain normaly noisy on these engines?

The valve lash is adjustable on the Z22. Intake and exhaust are 0.012" clearance on a hot motor.

What the the red wire go to in the picture below? This thing has a weber on it.

That's the idle cut solenoid wire (not used on your weber)

Are they junk engines?

No but like all engines have characteristics unique to them. The Z22 is a strong motor. Similar to the L20B but larger displacement and a different head.

Also in a pic below there is a random vaccum line plugged would like to know where that leads and hook it back up.

It is a vacuum bleed. The hose draws filtered air from the air cleaner. The fitting below it is a thermal vacuum valve and when the coolant is cold the valves are open and no vacuum can be held. This prevents the vacuum advance on the distributor and the EGR from working when the motor is cold. Once warm the valves close and the leak sealed and vacuum advance and EGR can work.

Is there anyone that has the vaccum routing diagrams on there computer?

I think this is for the Z22. Keep in mind that there were many variations. California, federal, high altitude.....

720Z22vacuumdiagram001Large.jpg

Ok thanks for the help guys!

I also have One more quick question my engine has 110,xxx on it and was wonder what you guys ran as far as oil in them after 100,000 i was thinking of just running some some castrol gtx high mileage.

Here is a overall pic of my engine its a tad bit dirty but wont be for much longer.

292714_375712482512471_1294558279_n.jpg

Are they junk engines?

Both these guys are wrong. The Z22 is a horrible engine, and you should get it out of your truck ASAP and give it to me. B)

Did the idle problem arise with the change in climate? If so, you might just need to fatten up the air/ fuel a bit. It works like a faucet, in is less, out is more. Try a qtr turn out and see if it smooths out for you.

Mine has an L head on it as well, and is bored to 89mm. It gets nothing but torture, and holds up just fine. Great motor!

EricVideosbyDave7_zps34a02d24.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

was there a big difference with the l20b head and z22 block set up...wat pistons r u using....

nice motor....

Yes...somewhat an improvement over the stock Z24 I had

Can breathe a lot better with the L head.......carb upgraded to 46mm SUs, Shadbolt cam/.490 lift, 260 duration. Lots of torque....excellent out of the hole.

Pistons were stock Z24 (89mm) from NPR

That motor pulled my heavy 720 4x4 a little better.....but.... once I stuck that engine in my lighter 510 with 4.38s..... :w00t:

The LZ23 was in the truck on the right....

P1010060.jpg

I have a 'bored' L28 that will be stuffed in....mo power

did u have to modify the l20b head and z24 pistons for clearance....

Negative

The Z24 HG will need to be modified though < 9 holes

7 in the Z22 block

hg2-1.jpg

Modified Felpro gasket placed on block...center punched for the holes in deck.....drilled out with 1/4 drill bit

P5050002.jpg

P5070007.jpg

• 5 months later...

• Are they junk engines?

I feel slightly insulted the question was even asked. These engines are insanely reliable and easy to maintain, and it will continue to run even after major system failure/owner mistreatment.

• Like 1