720 headlight/turn signal switch

I'm looking for the whole piece for the turn signal/headlight swtch. My hand slipped while pushing my truck off the street earlier and broke it, with my lights in the on position of course.

My paypal is down. I can mail check, money order, or transfer money.

I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't the arm that broke, its all of the plastic in the console that did. Broken contacts and all. As I drive my headlights turn off and on, and so do my brights.

It really depends on where it broke, the whole headlight assembly screws on, as long as the plastic part that surrounds the column is not broke.

The 1980 assembly you are wanting is hard to come by, especially if it is a tilt column, of which I am beginning to beleave that they were only made by combining two assemblies by people that were wanting and motivated to have a tilt wheel in their 1980.

I just looked in my stash, I only have later versions at the moment, as I said, you need to pull yours apart and figure out exactly what is broken, take a photo and post it, and I will try to figure out if what I have will fix it.

I used to take these things apart all the time in the wrecking yards, combine what I needed and then pay for only what I wanted.

So the 80 is different than others AND hard to get... F__k me! Just my damn luck. Mine is f__ked up too. I've tried taking out apart to fix, and checked parts stores, dealers, etc to no avail. headlights on all the time, signals inop. Mine may be more rare as it has intermittent wipers. Any ideas where I can get one? And I don't trust junk yards have gotten crap too much.

They made a lot of 1980 720 trucks guys, a LOT of them, and the 1981 is basicly the same, but they are the oldest ones with the early wide spade harness, the problem is that they changed stuff in the assembly, so there are a lot of differant plugs depending on what year and accessories.

I don't have any early non-tilt column headlight/turn signal/wiper assemblies, but I will keep a lookout for them.

Basicly you have to look at every 80-82 datsun 720 assembly looking for the 5 spade(wide) headlight plug.

This is what you are likely looking for, except with the small column hole, this is a very rare assembly, an early plug tilt column assembly.

DSCN1211.jpg

See how this non-tilt column headlight plug has 8 narrow spade connectors, this is a late model assembly, and it would likely work for you except for the headlight plug having the 8 spades instead of 5, and I don't have the 5 spade headlight circuit assembly to spare, as I have used all of them to make 5 spade plugs for a tilt column applications.

DSCN1217.jpg

It is not that difficult to make what you need, you just have to find the parts you need and put them together at the wrecking yard and buy just the one assembly you need.

Will 81 diesel non tilt work?

Does it look like this, with the 5 blade headlight plug, if so, it likely will.

See how this unit has 6 blades for the wipers, 4 blades on the turn signals(silver blade is the horn), and 5 blades on the headlights, and all are the wide type blades, this is an early type setup.

DSCN1211.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.