Weber side draft experts

68Datsun510

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to mess around with aftermarket horns on my Mikunis (phh40), but then I found some stock Mikuni horns, so no custom work needed.

I have considered buying cheap horns, but there are two issues to keep in mind: 1. the inner diameter of the bottom (carb side) of the horn, which should match the carb inner diameter (44mm); and 2. the bolt pattern.

http://www.pierceman...p/52845.225.htm

Based on this, it looks like IDFs and DCOEs have the same bolt pattern, but it would appear that the inner diameter might be 1mm too big? Pierce Manifolds recommends "opening up" the IDF 40s so that they mate with the 45mm horns. I'd hate to see someone file their Mikunis for 1mm...

I say try it out since they're so cheap, and then let us know how they fit. Should work?

The Pierce Manifolds link shows one type of air horn compatible for both DCOEs and IDFs. I've gotta figure it's the same bolt pattern.

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/category_s/172.htm

2 1/4" CHROME AIR HORN. FLANGE MOUNT 45 DCOE, 44 IDF, 40 IDF (FOR BEST RESULTS ON 40 IDF OPEN CARB INLET) CAN USE 99217.250 STACK FILTERS

I've also gotta figure that Weber Carbs Direct is selling the same stacks as those on Pierce Manifolds, just cheaper. Weber Carbs Direct doesn't have any real info on their website, but they look the same. I think they're also the same stacks that EMPI sells for IDFs and the VW crew.