Battery Overcharging

LV Fratsun

Hey guys after 2 blown batteries and an acid covered engine bay I am making a plea for help!

My battery is overcharging under load. At idle it sits around high 12-13 volts. When I apply the throttle I get about 15-17 :frantics:

The engine is a L18

I have replaced the regulator with one of these: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/IDI0/290133/02115.oap?year=1968&make=Nissan&model=510&vi=1209945&ck=Search_02115_1209945_-1&pt=02115&ppt=C0330

and it seemed to be overcharging worse with the replacement! I have replaced the alternator with no luck and now I'm thinking its a grounding issue? where would I begin to look for that? I have searched the forum and cant quite find what i'm looking for thats why I am making a new thread here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check to make sure that every wire connection is good between the regulator and the alternator, every single wire, even inside the plugs themselves.

I had one wire that wasn't making the connection inside a plug and was smoking the battery, it was on 30amps all the time till I figured out which wire it was, then it went down to almost nothing.

Key is soon as you put the new reg on there is ck for overload voltage again. dont drive it!!!!!!!! esp cooking batties up and eating up the engine bay paint.

if this is a 510 there is usually a ground wire that hooks up there where you screw the volt reg in. Make sure thats OK.

If you get 15-17 volt that pretty mcuh means the alternator is good so No need to chage it(in 90% of the cases)

Now this Volt reg is this a Neihoof brand? I ask as I have had 2 bad ones that didnt last more than a year or maybe 2 and wont buy them again. They will say Made in USA.

If this is a Jap Boesch replacement made in Japan they are pretty good But I prefer the solid states ones which will be smaller.These are made in USA by Wells that I have bought. Most time even cheaper.

I myself would try the older one and read the voltage if its different But Im going to assume if it s USA made mechanical VR ,its bad

ButI have a stack of VRs at home and ck them when I install therm and dont wait for the IGN light to come on.

I use a variation of this and they work.

http://www.equus.com/Product/3721/Battery-Monitor