carbs are leaking bad :/

slowbro

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

260Z stock carburetors are Hitachi 46mm units (HBM46W series). The infamous Z-car "flat-tops".

Setting float level is the foundation of a carburetor. It will run rich and/or overflow if the level is too high -- and all the tuning/adjusting won't fix it. Float level is the first thing that needs to be done.

Thats really the point, there arent many things that can cause that issue. I asked what stopped it and never got an answer. Flooding then running black smoke rich even after it stopped sounds like the floats are too high or a needle valve/s are sticking open. Even if the pressure was too high or the return was non existent a properly working float and valve should keep everything working fine. A 3rd option is the chokes hanging up. Check to make sure they are fully returning when not engaged.

Read up on how to check and adjust your floats and needle valves. Everything is in the FSM which can be downloaded for free if you search.

yeh when i seen what actually caused the leaking it was a major face palm moment. haha i had the fuel line hooked up to the vent on the float chamber. i was so egar to fix it i didn't see it staring at me haha

but now i have to fix the rich problem and the roughness, thanks for the link looks like lots of good info. hopefully i can gete this done saturday.