77 280z fuse issues

ISPKI

Hello guys and gals. I have been having an issue with the fuse for my tail lights blowing when I turn the lights on. I have a couple issues that I need clarification on.

First: What exactly runs through the "Park Tail" fuse. As far as I can tell, I have disconnected everything from that fuse, all the lights in the tail are disconnected but the fuse still blows.

Second: What Amp rating is that fuse supposed to be? My fuse box cover says 20Amp but the factory service manual says 15Amp.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah... That is what I was thinking. There is a ground coming out of the harness that is bolted down behind the license plate. It still has the factory paint on it so I am thinking there must be an area of exposed wire somewhere between the tail lights and the fuse box. I just dont want to pull all the wrapping off the harness! hahaha. Oh well, time to get dirty again.

Well it won't be the ground wire. If you're blowing a fuse it's a power wire possibly touching bare metal.

Are not the front side marker lamps, rear side marker lamps, license lamp and dash lights all fed from the light switch and on the same fuse????

That is what I am trying to figure out! I unplugged the rear side markers and the tail lights from the harness. I pulled the passenger seat out and checked the entire length of the harness, nothing is expose on the harness that runs to the back of the car, although I did find that one of the wires running to my fuel pump has about an inch of expose wire where it passes through the bottom of the car D:

I am going to study the service manual some more. I will check back and see if anyone has a definitive idea of what exactly is plugged into that fuse.

I still do not know exactly which fuse is supposed to go in that slot. I have been installing 20A fuses so far as that is what the cover says. But, the service manual says 15. I read up online that the 260z uses a 20A in that slot. Which source would you guys recommend I follow? The cover in the car, or the service manual? I am thinking the service manual since the cover can be changed so easily. Not that this solves my problem...If there is a dead short somewhere, I could have a 100amp fuse and it would still pop = /

From what I am reading, the Dash harness has a line that travels around the passenger side to the rear of the car. It services the side marker, rear combination lamp, license plate lamp, and, auto antenna. This seems to be the harness I am dealing with, but, the manual does not tell me what exactly is connected to the "Park Tail" fuse.

After I pulled the seat out and checked the wiring underneath it, I made sure the wires were not sitting on the body of the car, replaced the fuse, and started it up. Now, the fuse does not blow, but the tail lights do not come on either. The fuse looks to be in new condition as well....

After I pulled the seat out and checked the wiring underneath it, I made sure the wires were not sitting on the body of the car, replaced the fuse, and started it up. Now, the fuse does not blow, but the tail lights do not come on either. The fuse looks to be in new condition as well....

Almost for sure you replaced the fuse with a bad one so the lights won't work. These fuses are not to be trusted simply by looking at them.

After reviewing the factory service manual some more, Schematic BE-13 shows that the Top right fuse services the rear side markers, license plate light, rear combination lamps, front combination lamps, and front side markers. I will check the wires and grounds for the front lights this week and check back.