WTB : 510 Rear Springs (Stiff/firm)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a lot to go on. You don't have a 510 listed in your profile so sedan or wagon?

I'll assume a sedan with coils. Dodge D-50 front coils have been used and are documented. In this case '78 Dodge ram 50 2.0L . The Ram was around 14 years with several motors 2 and 4 wd so others will vary but only in initial stiffness.

They come with 6 1/2 active coils and spring rate calculates* out to 500 pounds per inch and on a 510 this reduces to 132 (ish). Removing one coil (to 5 1/2 coils and about 9.5" tall) = 155. Removing another half (5) =170 pounds per inch

* 11,250,000 X wire thickness to the 4th / 8 X number of coils X diameter to the 3rd

Wire diameter= 0.620"

coil diameter cl to cl = 4"

Active coils = we'll use the 5 1/2 coils as an example...

11,250,000 X (0.620 X 0.620 X0.620 X 0.620 = .14776336) = 1662337.8 over..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 X 5.5 = 44 X (4 X 4 X 4 X=64) = 2816

equals = 590pounds per inch

Since the 510 rear axle is cantilevered with a ratio of 3.8 we....

590 / 3.8 = 155.34 pounds per inch..... easy.

So now you have the formula for working out the spring rate you want before cutting the spring.

Another option is to purchase an offroad coil spring and then cut it in half (w/o a heat torch, I just used a Sawzall). You can get one for about $150 shipped if you shop around.

For example, for the rear you can purchase a single Eibach 1800-300-0400S spring which is 18" long, 3"ID, and 400lbs/in spring rate. You can easily order rates 50lbs higher...

Once the 400lbs spring is cut in half, the rate effectively doubles to becomes two ~800lbs 9" long springs complete with a pigtail for the lower spring perch.

Divide the spring's rate by 3.81 to get the approximate effective spring rate (~209lbs/in) at the wheel so you can match with the front.

Be sure your damper can handle a heavier spring rate AND be sure the spring is coiled clockwise so the pigtail seats in the lower control arm perch as intended (don't ask how I figured that out).

Fritz

Great info datzenmike. I will be heading to the junk yard this weekend and try to locate those springs. Do you know what the spring rate difference is between the stock 510 and d50 springs?

DADZSUN, thank you for the information. If i dont find anything at the junk yard, I will be going this route.

The springs will be going on my 67' 411. I tried the stock rear 510 springs on the front of my 411 but was even softer than the stock 411 front springs..

Great info datzenmike. I will be heading to the junk yard this weekend and try to locate those springs. Do you know what the spring rate difference is between the stock 510 and d50 springs?

Usually the front rate matches or should be close to the rear rate. The 510 stock front rate is 81 pounds per inch. so the rears should be about 300 (with the 3.8 cantilever ratio) The stock D-50 coils are 500 pounds so about 131 pounds per inch. So this says the your front springs should be stiffened to a similar rate.

I have a 710 and the stock fronts are 100 PPI (pounds per inch) I increased to 150 PPI by doing the math and cutting. I really like it at 150 and have no intention of going higher just so I can brag about how stiff I am. :lol:

The D-50s should be measured and calculated and then cut if you want similar.

Cutting or replacing with stiffer springs may drop the ride height perhaps to an undesirable amount. You can simply cut and stack 1/4" aluminum spacers as needed above the spring..

Great Info !!! I will have to try this this weekend if I can find the D50 springs.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.