wtb 720 diesel trans or bellhousing

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's someone here who recently swapped a Z series case onto a diesel 5 speed. I told him to save the case, in case. Check back in the last two weeks for a post about transmission swap, 720, diesel. I'll have a quick look.

Im looking for a good diesel 5spd or even a bad one. Even just the bellhousing half would be o.k. at this point. Let me know what you have and a price. Thanks mike

What is your issue?

Did your lower bearing go bad and chew up the lower hole?

Did it break the case itself?

Did it ruin/break the front cover?

Depending on the damage, you can fix the case, PM me if you respond and I don't get back to you.

Where is temecula?

I dont have one at all ! thats all i need to complete my truck. original owner was told the other was no good inside so truck sat. Trans was trashed! It makes me sick now that I read about bell housing swaps. I never thought a transmission could be so hard to find. Oh well, ill get one sooner or later, the truck is in excellent shape otherwise and it deserves a trans. Im in So. Cal

I dont have one at all ! thats all i need to complete my truck. original owner was told the other was no good inside so truck sat. Trans was trashed! It makes me sick now that I read about bell housing swaps. I never thought a transmission could be so hard to find. Oh well, ill get one sooner or later, the truck is in excellent shape otherwise and it deserves a trans. Im in So. Cal

oh see i thought you were using the sd trand for the bellhousing that will fit a r16/u20 block for a roadster, you actually have a 720 with the sd22/25 lol

SD front case

SDandRoadsterbellcompare002Large.jpg

Roadster case.

SDandRoadsterbellcompare001Large.jpg

I delivered this SD case to Canby for ppeters (I think) He had this trimmed Roadster case. Identical but for some of the bolt hole sizes. With some ingenious clutch arm and release collar swapping the diesel FS5W71B 5 speed will fit the Roadster.

Here's a Roadster in front and a 720 diesel 5 speed in back.

RoadsterfrontDieselBack-1.jpg

With some ingenious clutch arm and release collar swapping the diesel FS5W71B 5 speed will fit the Roadster.

The reverse is likely true to get a Roadster tranny into a 720. Clutch and PPs are different, so are the clutch arms...

So you don't even have the trashed transmission?

Can you go get the trashed transmission from the former owner?

Try contacting this guy, see if he would be interested in selling one of his diesel transmissions.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/47878-1985-kingcab-nissan-gas-swap-to-sd22-diesel-engine/

I will contact another guy that knows a guy with several 720 diesels in his private wrecking yard.

Another thing I forgot to ask in my last post was if the throwout bearing and collar would be the same between gas/diesel. Thanks for your help guys.

You have a diesel flywheel don't you?

If you have a 240mm Z24 clutch cover/disc, it won't work, as the SD22 flywheel is a 225mm cover/disc, so my guess would be you need a 225mm clutch cover/disc, and collar.

I just order a clutch cover/disc kit for a 1982 datsun 720 diesel, it comes with everything needed.

I guess I have always used the fork and collar from the diesel transmissions I have, I wouldn't know if the collar was differant, but I would think that the 225mm hardware is all the same between the gas and diesel, but I could be wrong.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.