Insurance claim

bumpsmac

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Liability is the most expensive part. Comprehensive covers stuff like trees falling on the car or windshield dings, though there's a deductable. The higher the deductible, the less expensive per month. Can be as cheap as $30 a YEAR. Collision covers your car if you are in an at-fault accident (also has a deductible, and generally isn't worth it on cars worth under $1500). However, both Comp and Collision usually mean the agent has to at least look at the car (for pre-existing damage) and they won't cover some cars due to condition.

I printed off a ton of for sale ads for similar cars back in 2001 when I wrecked my 2 door.

Took them to an auto appraiser who looked over the wreckage and said my car was worth exactly what I told him it was (probably didn't want to bother with it).

Took that to my lawyer who promptly got every penny from the kid's parents insurance company.

I think about $2500 in 2001 dollars. It was the yellow one in my avatar.

Be armed with evidence and backup sales when dealing and don't get pushed around!

Good luck

Dan

Liability is the most expensive part. Comprehensive covers stuff like trees falling on the car or windshield dings, though there's a deductable. The higher the deductible, the less expensive per month. Can be as cheap as $30 a YEAR. Collision covers your car if you are in an at-fault accident (also has a deductible, and generally isn't worth it on cars worth under $1500). However, both Comp and Collision usually mean the agent has to at least look at the car (for pre-existing damage) and they won't cover some cars due to condition.

Thanks.

I'm gonna get comprehensive as soon as I get it painted.

I had a primer black 71 2 door. Interior was perfect, no crash damage, clean title, it just happened to be primered at the time because i was doing a KA swap.

I was rear ended the first day I drove it (first stop light actually) and it pushed the rear end in about 3 inches and the rear passenger quarter panel was crunched. The other party's insurance pulled the lowest datsun ads they could find ($500, $750) to use as comparison against mine. My coolant overflow was leaking a little but other than that, the car was fine. They totalled it and made me pay $500 to get it back. I sued the girl because i got NOTHING for the car and came out with $500 after lawyer fees. Not even enough to fix the car and no way to appeal. It covered what i paid to get the car back.

Sometimes I hate California.

Just be careful what you say and what you accept. Put up a really good fight and make sure you quote ads/prices from rastun/510realm, etc.