Automatic swaps for L16

PandaStar

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L4N71B has an insane 0.686% overdrive. May be too much RPM drop for an L16 at highway speeds but easy fix. Just install a 4.11 or 4.375 rear end. This gives you blindingly fast acceleration (well for an L16) around town and the up shift to 4th will give good mileage. You get to eat your cake and keep it too.

I know a guy with a Hardbody with a Z24i and L4N71B in it. The one thing I made sure to keep from the L4N71B that was in the Maxima was the removable bell housing with the L series bolt pattern. I should be able to swap that on and eventually mount it in my sedan. It's an L18 but only driven around town.

So like PandaStar I also have to mod an L4N71B flex plate to have 5 holes.

The L4N71B has an insane 0.686% overdrive. May be too much RPM drop for an L16 at highway speeds but easy fix. Just install a 4.11 or 4.375 rear end. This gives you blindingly fast acceleration (well for an L16) around town and the up shift to 4th will give good mileage.

Listen to Mike... He knows his transmissions and gearing. This is my plan as well for the future.

.... what, for when you're too old to work a stick shift????

I'm not fond of the automatics, but not because they are slow, they're not, but they are boring. My 710 auto hammers second if you can get your foot down fast enough before it up shifts. In town it's in second within two car lengths unless you step into it a bit. It tends to shift so soon and quietly you don't notice it and then it revs to 3rd (but you think it's really second) and revs and revs and revs and you wait for third but it never comes.

It has a 4.11 rear end and coming home from Canby I hit 90MPH so they do go alright top end. It never misses a shift and in town does all the work while you drive. Yes standards are nice to drive but who likes to in town? To balance everything, my wife likes to drive it and I put a 71B 5 speed in my other 710 so I could enjoy it more.