common spots l20b may leak

Getting ready to pull the engine out of the parts truck i bought from Mr Raiders.

there is a lot of fine oil build up in the engine bay, i am de-greasing it today so i can look for the source.

I know he had the head and oil pan off of it last winter, he suggests double checking torque on everything he had apart. It wasnt driven much after the engine work so maybe he is right.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

check where the oil pressure sensor is plugged in. i know mine leaks from there and i had a 720/hardbody(not sure which it was) that leaked in the same spot. plus my grandpa used to own datsun pickups and according to him every one that he had developed a leak in the same spot. doesnt seem to be much of a leak, but its there on mine and my old one

Most common is the valve cover. Leaks travel down the back or behind the manifolds and end up at the oil pan. You can only re-tighten it once or twice, so save the time and mess and replace the gasket.

Rear crank seal is often mistaken for a bad oil pan gasket.

Crank pulley seal in the timing cover. My old L20B had a drip there, fan will blow it back over the alternator and look like it leaking somewhere else.

The fuel pump has a spacer between it and the head so two gaskets are needed. Also the pump itself has a pin that the pump arm pivots on. It sticks out slightly from the casting and may get wet with oil. Mine was degreased and a dab of RTV put on the ends to seal it.

Loose block breather tube behind the manifolds.

Badly sealing dip stick. Engine blow by pushes oil fumes and mist out.

Gaskets do compress over time and you can only tighten the bolts so much. On the oil pan you will actually bend the pan leaving gaps between the bolts that leak.

My fresh l20b leaks at the pan gasket. Actually, it only appears to be a problem on the passenger side (low side of the motor) and it looks like the oil is seeping through the cork (felpro and I think its cork) gasket, running down the lip to the inspection cover (at speed) and dripping off the bottom of the transmission. At first I thought it was a rear main leak but I think its the pan. My mechanic buddy said to huck the cork and and just use ultra black rtv with no gasket...

Joel