'77 Datsun 620

gijosh

So due to the spaghetti mess this truck is turning out to be, and its kinda tight to check the connections being all the gagues, it looks like it would be easier to just remove the dash for now to fix the electric woes I seem to be having. It looks like its just 5 or six screws right? I just feel like it may be easier to look at connections and sort wire that way. One of the previous owners did some custom electric for the audio, which seems to be compounding my problem. any reccomendations?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

aNY opinion on removal of the dash? I've got two of the bottom screws out, but the tight clearance between the windshield and the dash make it kinda tough. Also, it looks like the phillips heads on the screws are stripped, so ive got to impact those out, which isnt easy given the clearance.

The whole dash. Im going to rebuild one of my own. Helped someone do it before and since this ones all cracked to pot I figured id just take it out. Pluse due to the spaghetti mess of wires left in there from previous owners custom wiring jobs, its making it hard to figure out my electric issues.

id suggest taking out the gauges and gauge bezel first.

3 screws - one in each gauge hole

2 screws under the dash that hold the gauges in place

radio comes out

heater control knobs come off - one screw under both

cig lighter comes out

wiper switch comes out

• 5 months later...

So it's been cold as crap for awhile, so i havent been out to twist on the truck.  Today i was able to finally ge the old piece of crap dash out.  I was able to search for some other dash related forums for some extra help.  

dashremoved1.jpg?t=1364606778

dashremoved2.jpg?t=1364606771

here you can see where the original color was that burnt orange color.  I prefer the silver outside color. Also all the rats nest of wiring I've been dealing with. I am looking forward to being able to test all my gauges now theyre out of the dash.   Out of curiosity, does anyone have dimensions or patterns for a new dash?  I am planning of making one from hardwood.  I also plan on removing hte console and doing the same.  I can do it myself, but I figure if someone already done the work i might try and ask first.  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Im playing around with the instrument panel now figuring out how to test the pins.   looked for a few different threads and youtube videos but i'm not finding any real help.  Im trying to test the instrument panel while its not installed or plugged into anything.   I looked in How to sectiona dn found nothing, and I saw some other threads in electronics, but nothing that was more of a how to.  I really need a dumbed down version with a few good pics showing me how I can test the different pins on the back of a 620 instrument panel and how i can test that the light come on.  Any help as always is very much appreciated.