Fuel tank Questions

620Aaron

Ever since i started driving my truck every day I've noticed that every time I fill up until about half full I can smell unburnt fuel....so today after I filled up I pulled it in the garage and began crawling around and theres no rust or big dents. BUT around the seam where the top and bottom meet and around the bracket on the drivers side its wet and seeping out. Now I'm having a big oh shit moment, what needs done, find one at a wrecking yard? have it welded? any other cars that will fit? Any suggestions would help

Aaron

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine does the same, as do many others. Water pools along the lip there and over the years corrodes the tank. You can drop the tank and try sealing it, or completely strip, do some welding, and reseal the tank. I need to do mine soon as I'm losing a crap ton of fuel just from evaporation. Not to mention, it isn't safe.

not that it helps but dont go to pick n pull looking for one, i made that mistake. They just ram holes in them prior to putting them in the yard to insure no gas is left -.-

IMO your best bet will be to drop the tank, and have it repaired by a shop. IN NO WAY SHOULD YOU WELD ON A GAS TANK. Unless shrapnel sounds fun to you :P