replaced 720 steering box but steering still feels stiff??????

I have an 85 720 and I just rebuilt power steering pump and replaced leaky steering box with a used box I got from junk yard. My truck is a 2wd and i got the box from a 4wd everything looks the same except pitman arm was different. I swapped pitman arms and got everything else installed, bleed the shit out of the box (about 3 water bottles full)

than I took for a spin and steering still felt way too tight (light I dont even have power steering tight) so I bleed so more but still having the same problem. Is my steering box possibly bad? Any help would be great.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Raise the wheels off the ground, start engine, turn lock to lock shut off. Let sit a few minutes for air bubbles to separate, check power steering fluid level. Repeat. Do not run more than needed to prevent unnecessary foaming until all air is pushed out into power steering reservoir.

If you were running the motor while filling or if the level was low, it will be full of foam... Best to let it rest overnight to allow any foam to settle. Check level and top up if needed. Start engine and if fluid drops, shut off immediately and refill. You want to avoid sucking air into the pump which will just cause it to foam. Once it is full, and no more fluid needed, raise the front end so wheels are off the ground and turn lock to lock. Shut off immediately to prevent foaming. This should push fluid through the system and expel any air into the reservoir. If the level has dropped, top it up (but only to the fill line to allow for warm expansion) Repeat the lock to lock and shut off until the reservoir level does not change. Check again in a few days as there will always be a few bubbles or foam that will work it's way out.

This is the FSM recommended procedure and I have done it twice. Worked the first time.

Looks like I finally got it right! Damn that saved me some cash

Stering pump rebuild kit $11

Used steering box from junk yard $55

compared to about $300 for new steering box and $100 for new steering pimp. Wish I could find a rebuild kit for my extra steering box can't seem to find one anywhere. Thank you for your help!