Carb Rebuild Kit Question (Pics)

SulphurDave

I need help with some of these parts I have left that I'm not sure where they go. I took pics of the tear down to help remember where things go but there's some things I missed.. mainly where the ball bearings and tiny springs went. The diagram provided isn't exact and there's some guess work on what jet is what and where it goes. I try to compare back to my pics of the tear down but the only thing I can see is the tops of the jets and not what's under them, how long they are, if there's a ball bearing under it or a tiny spring. The one thing I know I got right is the nylon ball bearing in the kit went down at the bottom of the accelerator pump. There's 2 more ball bearings that go somewhere and like I said the diagram isn't helping much. And according to some of my pics of the tear down I don't see a jet in a hole where the diagram shows one so that confuses me. I'm stuck at this point. Any input?

Here's where I am at now. I put the jets in based off my tear down pics but again like I said I don't know if anything else went down the orifice before the jet.

IMG_20120922_092357_zps3c57378f.jpg

Here's some jets, springs and ball bearings not sure where they go...

IMG_20120922_093641_zps598c3d5b.jpg

Diagram...

IMG_20120922_092531_zps7528e45f.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For future reference, when rebuilding a carb, you're going to want a large surface, and something to use so that the ball bearings won't roll away(I use a white towel, for ease of spotting parts). As you take it apart, put everything in an order in which it will be easy to reassemble everything with no guesswork. Taking everything apart and throwing it into a pile is setting yourself up for a long, frustrating Saturday.

I know that doesn't really help you this time around, but I'm sure next time you won't have this problem. Good luck.

I can tell you that the shorter, stubbier brass screw in deal with the spring loaded pin sticking out of the top is your Power Valve. I'm sure that some/most of those gaskets and springs are extras that are included in the kit for different carb variations.

The power valve goes in the hole in the carb. (center of picture) The valve itself is down in the float chamber behind the glass front. It's now shown very well in the picture but looks like part #40.

The brass fitting with the curved tube is the accelerator pump discharge tube. In order from bottom to top under it is: ball bearing, small spring, small round gasket, the brass thing with the tube on it, small round gasket and the threaded brass fitting at the top of your parts picture with the slot in the top...

IMG_20120922_093641_zps598c3d5b.jpg

The accelerator pump itself is over on the right side (about 3:00 o'clock in picture below) has a rubber boot and two screws holding it in place. Below it, in order from the bottom up are: a small ball bearing, a larger spring with a cross piece on it to hold the ball in place on the bottom, the plunger assembly with rubber boot on it, the retaining ring and two screws to hod it in place.

The ball bearings act as one way valves. When the accelerator pump moves up it creates suction. The ball under the discharge nozzle is pulled down sealing it so air is not drawn in. The ball under the accelerator pump is pulled upward allowing fuel in from the fuel bowl. When the accelerator pump is forced down the revers is true. The ball below prevents pressure from returning gas to the fuel bowl and pushed the ball under the discharge nozzle up allowing fuel to squirt into the primary. BTW the nozzle should point down into the primary just to the side of the air bleed on top of the venturi.

IMG_20120922_092357_zps3c57378f.jpg

OK so far I have instructions for 2 ball bearings going back in but 3 came out. One under the accelerator pump, one under the discharge tube (which by the way I don't see where a spring would fit under the discharge tube fitting) and where does the 3rd ball go? 3 ball bearings were in the kit, a nylon one for accel pump and 2 chrome ones.

Yea I should have done a better job of taking notes taking it apart but it also pisses me off this diagram is not exact to this carb now I'm playing the guessing game.

That's definitely a different variation than the Hitachi's I have built.....interesting that the barrel's are diff styles primary to secondary! Must be an older version, may even be a DAF328 from the orig 510 :)

<<<<This is my best guess but still uncertain. Can someone describe in detail where these all go? I know where the discharge tube goes but not the arrangements of spring/ball. Trying to get this truck running today.>>>>

The kit you are using is most likely is for a later DCH340, which may be why the difference in the diagrams, but the spring and ball arrangement under the discharge tube is similar. I would begin by putting two of those chrome balls in the discharge well and seeing how it works out........disregard the spring the diagram is showing.

maybe I can help,

first of all the ball bearings:

1. big ball bearing (they are different in size) would fit inside the accelerator pump hole (hole that have piston in it), after putting the bearing in, but the spring on it (the spring with a bend in the middle (the biggest one) with the bend being in bottom on top the bearing, put the gasket on (kind looks like an eye) then slide the piston (dress the rubber boot first), hold it tight as spring pressure is there and hand tighten screws then tighten them snug.

2. second bearing for discharge tube as mike said in this order

a. tube with bend (bolt -> aluminum washer -> tube cylinder)

b. washer (red or pink washer)

c. spring (short one but not thick metal)

d. bearing

tighten it up

3. the third ball is new for me, but from the diagram I can see that it goes to were the flat head drive brass screw next to the accelerator pump is. (don't try forcing the brass open if it won't budge) guess it the slow jet (the long brass tube with holes at bottom, use the original if aftermarket not the same just clean it with carb cleaner and use compressor air to blow it.

4. as for the jets here is a tip on the side of the accelerator pump is the main circuit so it will have the main or primary jets (the main jets are under the fuel bowl you use a washer under the jet (aluminum washer) and again a washer under the nuts that secures the bottom (the two nuts), the emolution whatever tube (tube with lots of holes in it should be under the secondary venturi ( the big jet with two screws holding it down), as for the brass parts that look like wights I can't tell unless you photoed them, but usually might be installed inside one of the holes, don't worry hitachi carbs are a pain but worth the trouble IMO

5. the fat looking brass screw with flat head drive is where the first hole in the secondry section (the big threaded hole) next to it is a smaller hole for a jet usually the jets have numbers on them (if you can't see use a magnifier glass), this jet should be a small number compared to the jet at the primary section that is to the right near the edge.

6. lastly you have a small brass screw that should fit the third hole in the secondary just beneath the jet