85 Nissan/Datsun z24 Timing chain. PLEASE HELP :)

510dream

I blew a head gasket and in the tear down I knew I needed to keep tention on the timing chain to keep the timing chain tensioner depressed. I failed and after pulling the front of the motor I saw I needed to replace the tensioner and guide.

My question is this; what is the order of reassembly of the timing chain cover, then head gasket, top gear and chain? I can't figure out how to keep the timing chain tensioner depressed to have enough slack to slide my double roller and chain back on the head.

Thank you for helping a young enthusiast lean before I break anything. (this is my first head gasket job)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep. when i first tore mine apart i made the same mistake. like dat lurka said. put your head on get all of your timing suff right then put the timing cover on. the oil pan has to be off or almost off to do the timing cover with the head. i HIGHLY sugest you take the pan off before installing timing cover if you want a good sealing gasket:)

Thank you for all the help. It seems kind of obvious now with your input. Glad to hear im not the only one. :)

Here is a randome question; Is it worth it to do a port and polish while im here and have the next 4 days off :)

Im thinking about doing it because I bought the truck with long tube headers on it, and i just put a weber on her. The motor has been rebuilt recently by the looks of the cross hatching and over all cleanliness.

Is it worth the time?

Here is a randome question; Is it worth it to do a port and polish while im here and have the next 4 days off :)

Is it worth the time?

Depends, this is a high performance thing and only improves the high end. If racing any thing that gives even the thinnest advantage is 'worth it' no matter the cost or time. The amount of gain is small but more effective if other things like larger carb 'bigger' cam and exhaust mods are also present.

For a stock street motor probably not really worth the time or bother. On the other hand no harm doing it either. Include a gasket port match for intakes and exhaust.

If a race motor, improper porting can adversely affect flow and performance.