alternator, can it be repaired?

doomdatsun

hi,

been having problem at idle and low speeds, at night the lights were weak and while hitting the gas it gets strong. Today I checked the alternator and found it had no stable voltage, ranged reading from 1.2 V or 0 V up to 16.01 V, tryed removing the neg post and activated the lights and headlights and tried to rev the motor, it would rumble and bog like a bull then stall, so I'm sure its the alternator.

question is it repairable, I mean is it the carbon bushings or the rectifier or should I buy a new one ?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can replace the brushes in the alternator easily, do that. In fact some of the alternators used on 1970's Datsun were set up so you could remove two screws that held the brush assembly, and you could then slip a new unworn brush assembly into the alternator, without having to disassemble the alternator.

If the alternator has other problems, probably replacement is a good way to go.

1.2 V or 0 V up to 16.01 V

WHAT????????

it should never go to 0 volts as the battery is in the sytem.

Simple pull battery out take to parts store and have it cked with a load.

WHO CARES if its the bushings or not. There are about 35 to 40 $ for a new one.

Most likely its the bushings. Unless your good at figureing things out then just get a new one.

Most times when ytou do a alternator test as you mentioned never put the lights on as it will kill it.

Since you got a 510 does it still have the external volt reg?

You have a L16 block or a L20 block? this will determine the bolt hole size.

wow wow, guys I never said I had a 510, here this is what I have

pc110091.jpg

its a datsun laurel C31 1983 model

as for putting the lights on while testing it should be normal cuz the alt should provide enough juice to power everything in the car so, removing the battery should just relief the load on it.

After changing my clutch fan, I started hearing metal grinding noise, I suspected the alt and now I'm sure of it.