su's or regular carb?

rAwKStAh!

well i im undecided on what to do?

i got a l20b block with a u60 head and su carbs that imma put in my truck and a 5 speed from a 77 200sx and i dont kno if i should just put the carb from my l16 on it. truthfully, i dont kno how the su's work... seem complicated:confused: .. should i get a weber?

also i had a a87 head on my l16 whats better a87 or u60?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how are SUs more complicated than a downdraught? they're the simplest carbs I have ever seen.

They can be, it depends on how they are set up. I've seen some pretty confusing ghetto rigged set ups.

Also you need this special float tool to check if they are working properly which I assume very few people actually own. So getting them working properly can be a pretty big pain for some one in an area devoid of SU people.

I would LOVE to have a clean set of SU's on my 521. Unfortunately they can be kind of hard to come by in my area.. I'm setting up a webber on my 521 and I keep saying to my self "this is so confusing why couldn't I just have found some su's!" :lol:

how are SUs more complicated than a downdraught? they're the simplest carbs I have ever seen.

Agreed. I had a hard time with them at first, until I sat with them for a while and got to know them. Now, I know them better than I thought I would. Easy to tune. As for float adjustment, the special float tool is not absolutely necessary. There is a factory procedure that shows you how to do it, by inverting the float covers and adjusting it that way.

IMHO, the 38mm sidedrafts are better than the downdraft for the simple reason that the air for combustion is bought in directly to the combustion chamber, there is no 90 degree 'bend' that has to occur at a typical L-series downdraft situation. And each pair of cylinders share the 38mm worth of synchronious air/fuel mixture, not 4 cylinders sharing an initial 36mm of air, then as the secondaries kick in a portion of 32mm worth of air until both the primary and the secondaries are open.

alright well i bolted up the carb and put the su's aside i just wanna get my truck running again!:rolleyes:

i used the u60 head ... now i just need to put the tranny in there... i dont think i have to cut the drive shaft do i? the trannys seem about the same size... i just have to use a plate and gasket to keep the oil in the tranny at the spline or will it be ok?

now i have to look for a weber!:D

i here ya, i really want my su's on my 620 but i don't want to deal with the manuel choke,linkage,syncronizing and all that mess i need something to drive besides this gas drinking silverodo i'm driving now.someday in the future i'll put the su's on.:lol: