Transmission oil

Naco1

Sup y'all. Just got my rebuilt tranny back from the gear dude. It's up and it's ready for some tranny oil. But I don't know which oil to use. Any suggestions? What works well with the 83 zx transmission? Any help is much much appreciated. Thanks guys, pics up soon. Oh yea. What type of motor oil for the l20b as well ? Gracias.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must say 'Yellow Metal Safe" on container at least. I think GL-4 is being phased out. GL-4 has about 4% sulphur anti scuff additives in it and this is a minimum amount that won't attack the copper/bronze parts in the transmission. GL-5 has 6% or more. This doesn't seem like much of a difference but if you think about it 6% is 50% more than 4%!!!!! GL-5 is NOT recommended for old Nissan transmissions. It IS recommended for rear ends.

You can use Pennzoil Synchromesh for GM transmissions. $7 per quart and says yellow metal safe right on the bottle.

Of course, it doesn't specify weight and it just seems really thin to me. I'll probably swap up with some AMS Oil or Royal Purple/Redline.