Clutch Won't disengage

KA620KC

So I've been driving my 620 for over a year and a half now with relatively little issues. However a few weeks ago I think I lost my clutch. I drove the truck to work and home for lunch. Got back in the truck to drive back to work it shifted fine with no issues. Came to a stop at the stop sign and when I took off and went to shift into 2nd gear it wouldn't go in. I tried a few times to get it in and it wouldn't go into ANY gear. I couldn't even get it back into first. So I pulled over and tried to pump the clutch pedal a few times but it still didn't work. I shut the truck off put it in 1st gear, pushed in the clutch pedal, started the truck and it lunged forward. So I shut the truck off and put it in 3rd gear, started it with the pedal out and let it lunge forward till it started and drove it home. I got it home and had the wife pump the clutch pedal a few times so I could rebleed the slave. That didn't work. So I started at the master and rebled again. Still no change. So I bought a new master and slave just for the hell of it. Installed them both and bled them. I even went so far as to buy an inspection camera to stick in side the transmission to see if the pressure plate is disengaging. From what I can see the pressure plate fingers are moving but I can't figure out what the hell is happening with the disc. Anyone got any other ideas as to whats going on before I yank the motor so I can pull the transmission??

And just for background info, this is a KA24DE with a matching transmission from a 92 240sx. I'm using the stock 620 clutch master and clutch slave cylinder. The clutch is an A.C.T. stage 1 clutch set and an aluminum flywheel it that helps anyone.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OH and by the way I do beat the living shit out of the truck. I have taken it to the drag strip SEVERAL times and ran several bottles of nitrous through the engine. I run it at the track with drag radials so I am aware of the possibility that the clutch itself may have gone out BUT it hasn't given ANY signs of imminent failure in any way. No grinding or rattling from the throw out or any shifting issues either. but i'm definitely not discounting any ideas thrown my way. If I gotta yank the motor then so be it.

Throwout bearing.

If its FUBAR against the input you won't be able to shift.

Remove and inspect.

If it's FUKEN....it should make a noise when depressing the pedal...or.......an increased sound with the disengagement of the clutch

Not sure if the throw out bearing is in constant contact with the ACT fingers..??? ....might be

Would confirm the 'new' slave is moving the fork...about an inch???

If it's FUKEN....it should make a noise when depressing the pedal...or.......an increased sound with the disengagement

Although...not sure if the throw out bearing is in constant contact with the ACT fingers..??? ....might be

Would confirm the 'new' slave is moving the fork...about an inch???

Yeah I'd say its moving about 3/4-1"

That seems like plenty of room.

It seems easy to say throwout, at least for me, cuz I've seen so many fail, all with the same description.

Throwout gets used in every action, but is the only thing that is not solidly fixed.

It is just barely held in place by the shift fork, and by the input shaft-which is always spinning through it.

If shift fork feels solidly in place, and you have any certainty as to clutch life left...

That's my thought.