Front tie rods adjustable?

MantisX620

Now that ive lowered my truck, I think now is a perfect time to renew all the front ball joints and shocks and line it up. Im looking on rockauto and the tie rod photos look as though they arent adjustable. Are the left and right tie rods fixed and the cross rod adjustable? The reason I ask is because they also sell tie rod ends but the ones on my truck dont look like they would screw off of the rod.

I think my steering box and idler arm are still in good shape. My wheel is a quarter of a turn to the left when the truck is going straight though. Also, steering has some slop. Hoping this will fix that.

Thanks

MantisX

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The center cross rod has left and right hand threads on it so turning one way pulls the tie rod ends IN the other way is OUT to adjust toe. Don't forget to re tighten the lock nuts to hold the setting. This is way better than most cars where you have to adjust both ends.

Adjusting the toe won't remove slop. That is the sum of all wear in the steering box, idler arm and the tie rod ball joints. Loose wheel bearings that are not adjusted can also add slop. To some small extent the steering box can be adjusted for wear.

Thanks again Mike. Gonna order the whole front today and do work! Well, minus the steering box and idler arm. I think the idler is fine and I dont think there are replacement steering boxes. Ill search around on adjusting the steering box. Are they rebuildable?

MantisX

• 3 weeks later...

So ive replaced my shocks(did the pinto shock mod) and redid my tie rods and center link. I took her for a spin and I can hear the right tire faintly squeal as I go down the road. The wheel also doesnt return to center anymore after a turn. Im sure this is a line up issue and ive made my peace with that lol.

It was a bitch getting all the ball joints loose. My question is, does the balljoints on the centerlink have to come back out to adjust it? Im hoping to loosen the lock nuts and just turn the bar itself for adjustment.(temporary until I can get an alignment.)

Thanks

MantisX

When adjusting the steering box, raise the front end. Most of the wear is in the straight ahead position so if you over tighten it here, it may be way to tight going around a corner. Make an adjustment and turn lock to lock looking if a tightness or increase in effort. If so you will have to loosen it slightly.

Park the truck with wheels ahead. Have someone turn the wheel and have them line up one front wheel with the rear wheel behind it. Just sight across the rim or tire edges on the front and the back. Get as close as you can. Now go over to the other side and look. Is the other side lined up with the rear or pointing outward or inward? If you can make out a difference then the toe is out and needs adjusting. You can do this yourself. The center cross rod in front of the oil pan has L&R threads so turning it one way or the other will adjust the toe on both wheels equally..

Just tape a long string to the back of the tire and stretch it out front and move side to side until it just touches the tire on the front and secure it.. Do the same with the other tire. Measure the distance between the strings close to the bumper and at the ends of the string. If the closer measurement is narrower then the tires are toed out. If the closer measurement is wider than the ends then the tires are toed in. An inch or so of toe in is ok over 30 feet of string.

I just used some spare rims, and set the car down on leveled blocks of wood. After each adjustment bounce the front end to stabilize the suspension/steering. As it turned out my 710 was severely turned toe out. If the front wheels were to roll forward the would have been 8" further apart in just 30 feet!!!!!

710alignment0011Large-2.jpg

Datzen Mike saves the day again! Got out in the garage and ran through the whole process. Took her out and the wheel returns, tracks straight! All I need to do now is re center my steering wheel. Steering is tight, new shocks are doing their thing. I feel like I bought a new truck!

MantisX

I did this with my 620. Turns out it had severe toe in, in fact I crossed the street to the neighbor's ditch and both front wheels were pointing at me!!!! Maybe a hundred or more feet!!!! I had some 10.5X31s on it and have been across Canada and back with no abnormal wear on the sides.

At the least you can do this to get you to the alignment shop.