510 fuel/temp regulator - Need to be schooled.

808DA6

It been months since my gauges worked. One day, they both quit. Everyone I've asked said its probably the VR. I looked up the part and browsed the manual and the back of my cluster doesn't have anything that resembles a VR. The gauge itself has the bi-metal switch which look to fed by a contact point. Is this an integrated "manual" VR?

So, this is supposed to be a 8V regulated system right? Can I replace this contact point with a 12V to 8V IC VR?

Like this: http://www.simple-electronics.com/2009/11/12v-to-8v-dc-converter-using-7808.html

Thanks in advance.

Brian

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the 8v is constant and doesn't rise and fall with the charge rate it should work.

I wish I could help you as I too am going to look at the same exact problem on my cousin's 620. I hope someone can help you so I have an idea where to begin looking this Sunday. Good luck!

I think these are 620 gauges. Just clean the contacts.

620instvoltreg.jpg

If your fuel indicator line disappeared completely the yellow wire running to the float indicator on the tank has come off and needs to be plugged back in.

Also, my indicator stopped working one day (fuel indicator) stuck at about 1/4 tank. The problem after some investigation was that the float valve lever had rusted solid. WD40, brass brush, fine steel wool, some fine emory paper, and 3+1/2hrs later my fuel indicator, and float valve worked like new. You will most likely need a new O ring seal for the float valve if you remove it.

Just my experience, don't know if it'll help you or not.

• 2 weeks later...