Yup, got another project... I wanted to do this one because it's something that shouldn't cost me a lot of money I dont have. I plan to try and have less than $1500 into the whole project from start to finish, and the goal is to have it driveable before the end of summer (sooner if time permits). I bought the body off craigslist for $250, which isn't bad because I've seen people pay a lot more for a lot less than what I got!

rat001.jpg

rat003.jpg

It's (supposedly) a 30-31(ish) Chevy pickup. It was formerly a shop truck for a sheetmetal company in portland that was established in 1901. I have contacted the company to see if I can get pictures, or any info on it, but they have not responded yet. You can still faintly read the company's name on the back of the cab. All the pieces were unattached when I got it, they're just kinda stacked together in the pics.

So far I have been working on it for 2 weeks, and I've got 15 hours into it. Here's what I got done last week:

rod001.jpg

Started making a frame for the floor, and tacking the body together so it would be one piece, and square!

rod004.jpg

rod003.jpg

That was at the 10 hour point of when I was finished last week.

This week, now that the body was semi-welded together I concentrated on the framework for the cab. I only got the basics of the bottom frame done, and I rat out of material to finish the structure work in the cab body itself.

rod010.jpg

That's where I'm at with the body right now. As far as a frame, I've decided to try the Dick Dean approach, and use a small truck frame & suspension. Dick Dean used to sell a kit car (or maybe just the plans) for a 32 Ford Coupe that rested on a Datsun 620 frame and suspension, aptly named the "DotRod". So I compared some stuff and the Chevy Luv frame & suspension is pretty similar to the Datsun 620, so I picked up a Disc Brake Luv with no engine for free! I'm going to retain as much from the luv as I can... Wiring, steering column, gonna try to keep the heater, and possibly the gauges. I've got the box off the Luv, and the front clip. Just gotta start pulling the stuff out of the cab I'm gonna keep.

As for an engine I was going to try to run an old Ford flathead v8, but after some research, the parts are kinda spendy, so I've ditched that idea... I recently picked up a complete chevy Tune Port injection setup off an 80s camaro, so I thought I could use it on there, but I'm not certain yet. I'll surely go with a Chevy v8 if I use a v8, preferably a 283, so I can decide then. I was also thinking of using a Chevy straight 6, it just depends on what I can get a sweet deal on.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a '36 Chev low-cab pickup about 5 years ago. It has since been sold. I'll see if I can dig up pics. I found that an '82 toyota longbed has about the right wheelbase. The advantages are: disc brakes, bulletproof rear end, torsion-bar front end, room for a SBC, 5 lug wheel pattern, cheap and easy to find parts. I got the body from a buddy for free, Toyota for $250, 283 and powerglide from my dad, built the bed, my brother did the body and paint for me. Somehow I still found a way to spend about $4k on the total build. All that little stuff adds up. :rolleyes: It looks like you've got a solid start on it. Keep us posted!

• 2 months later...

Well the cab work that is pictured above is pretty much done. The frame is welded in. It's got some sweet 411 plaid seats sitting in it, waiting for the floor to be made :P No pictures though.

As far as the donor truck goes, I got a late 70's/early 80s Chevy LUV for free,I'll be using that frame and running gear, and try to salvage the heater setup in it (it's like a datsun truck heater box). I've got the bed off it, glass out, interior out, front clip off, engine out...

As far as powertrain goes, I picked up a running Chevy 292 I6 for $50, and I'll put a saginaw 4 speed behind it. Should be pretty interesting if I ever get it done :P

Here's a pic of the valve cover for the 292. I thought it looked almost perfect for a rat rod the way it was... I bead blasted the old rust and paint off the raised center part so you could see the letters again, and sprayed clear coat over it... I think it's rad!

voc001.jpg

The ratrod project is kinda on the back burner since I got my Chevelle painted, and back from the painter. So now I'm concentrating on getting the trim back on, and getting it driveable. Once I get that done, I'll start up the rat rod project again.

• 1 month later...