Rough night working on the 210

Duke_CityR

So, when I bought my 79 210 five years ago, I was really unhappy with the big blank spot in the dash where there is supposed to be a factory tach, but this car did not come with one. 2012-08-22_20-56-48_334.jpg

So I set out to search all the wrecking yards locally here to find one. Finally, after 4 years of searching, I found a 1980 210 with a factory tach. Now the gauge clusters are different, since the 79 has the round gauges and the 80 has a square, boxy cluster. But, the tach is almost identical.

2012-08-22_20-31-27_161.jpg

So, I carefully removed the tach from the 80 cluster.

2012-08-22_20-30-39_344.jpg

The only thing that needs to be modified is the upper left corner of the gauge face. Right above the "3" you have to trim away about 1/2 inch to get it to fit snugly in the 79 opening.

So As I was trimming away last night, This is what happened to me.

2012-08-22_21-12-07_389.jpg

I have waited 5 years to get a factory tach in that opening, guess I'll have to wait a little longer now. So far to date, I have only broken 2 things on this car. But last night, this one really hurt.

Does anyone have an extra tach face laying around? LOL. I'm sure in 4 more years another one will come along.

Anyone else have a similar situation where you searched and searched for that one piece and when you found it, you also managed to break it?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some solvent glue from a plastic supply store will glue it back together. This stuff:

AHD-HUA-H-5083-zoom.jpg

The acrylic plastic is very brittle - never use clippers to cut it - cutting slowly with a saw, and sandpaper work really well though.

Thanks for all the input guys. I was able to glue it back together, but I'm not happy with how it looks at all. My buddy has quite a bit of experience making custom gauge faces, and he told me how we can make a new one. It's just a lot of work. For now I am going to keep searching and maybe I'll get lucky again and find something. But I know that I have a back up plan if I don't get lucky.

BTW: I'm never going to use any of the additional parts from that 1980 gauge cluster pictured above. If anyone else wants anything from it let me know. I'll give you a really good deal.

Thanks again for all the support.

I remember along time back on zcar.com, that you could download whitefaced guage covers to your computer to print to media whatever you needed... there is templates for tach's you can use or start with on your computer.... then print, "laminate" to plastic media, cut/install

• 5 weeks later...