Volt meter CRG light on - 77 280z

ISPKI

I just got my 77 280z running the other day. Worked out many bugs and finally drove it down the street and back. However, the red CRG light on the volt meter in the dash is on pretty much all the time. I tested the alternator and it was dead, so, I replaced it with a new Bosch alternator. The CRG light is still on all the time. What does this light mean?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Break out the old Multi-meter and test the charge on the car running ! Compare to Factory Service Manual Specs or Repair manual specs.

If over-charging check the voltage regulator per FSM or Repair Manual specs. Factory Service Manuals ( easy to read/use) are available here = http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

If not charging at all take the alternator to an auto-parts store that will test it on a machine for free ! ( regardless if it's out of the box or not. Especially a re-manufactured item !! )

Bosch and any other re-manufactured alternators tend to give up the ghost and take :poop: right out of the box.

Take it back and have the alternator tested for free ( at an auto-parts store ,,, some have an alternator test machine. They test for free. I know autozone does it ! )

I wen't through up to 5 alternators one time on a friends car.

Wen't through 3 alternators on brothers old car.

Wen't through 2 alternators on quite a few other cars.

I am slightly afraid of buying re-man's and driving out of town lol. Granted many are ok.

Warranty didn't matter.

Discussing external regulators.

Some zcar external regulators are "solid state" (non-adjustable) ,,, they are physically small in size

Some zcar external regulators are "mechanical/adjustable" ( adjustable and need to be adjusted ! ) larger in size with a few sheet-metal type screws on top.

*for mechanical adjustment you need a feeler gauge , and simply take off the cover ,,, and adjust the gaps per FSM specs !" http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

I honestly don't know if you have a solid state or an adjustable.

I would guess you have a solid state one for the year 1977 280z !

Well I hopped in with my buddy and drove it down the street and the CRG light turned off. I dont know what the dealio was with it, but it stays off now.

The old alternator got hosed in gasoline when the fuel line above it ripped open. We tested it with a volt meter and got 12.7 out of it, which is the same reading if connected directly to the battery.

The new alternator was reading about 12.7 on the volt meter in the dash while the light was on. Now it is reading just under 16. I guess it just needed to be broken in or something?