Bumpers and hard to find parts?

San Maru

Before starting a 510 project, I wanted to get some input on what parts are hard to find or worth a ton so I can beware when buying. Bumpers, perfect condition, how much do they sell for? The quarter vents, hard to find? taillights? Grills? What is available from nissan you know of? Any comments are welcome.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grilles and tail lights vary in price greatly. There are many options for both and some are easily found while others are harder (some almost never seen).

For tail lights:

Normal US OEM

Euro lenses

GL ~$550

SSS Coupe ~$1000 for meh ~$2000 for above good

Mexi/JDM ~$400 barely ever up for sale so hard to tell

Center garnish ~$300

For grilles:

68 ~$250

70-73

73 plastic SSS/GL ~$1000-$1700 depending on condition

69-72 SSS/GL ~$300

Safari ~$450

There's a few variants of some of the grilles as well that are a little more hard to find.

I only priced out the more rare/expensive items. These prices aren't set in stone and will vary based on condition and normal market value. The most expensive 73 plastic grille used to be about half that price a few years ago. Now they sky rocket any time theyre available (mostly eBay).

Any of the 68 parts are going to be harder to find or more expensive because they were available only for a single year here. There's also some of the body emblems that are harder to find and some people do not want reproductions (some of which there are none) so that increases price.

Good luck on your hunt to find some of these of you're specifically looking for something.

The 68 rear bumpers are a one year only bumper with built in license light. They are the most rare of the 510 bumpers. An NOS one with an NOS license light sold a few years ago for $1000. Clean used ones fetch $200-$400 and re-chromed ones a bit more.

The 69-72 bumpers are more common and NOS ones have sold for up to $600. Re-chromed for a bit less and clean used ones for $150-$350

The 73 was a one year only bumpers too. The brackets were different and they had huge bumperettes on them. Can't give prices as I don't know for sure.

New Tail lights show up on eBay and have been fetching $450-$550 a set. Clean used ones have been bringing $150-$300 a pair.

OEM seals and weatherstripping seem to be pretty hard to find. The aftermarket stuff just does not hold up compared to OEM, especially the front and rear windshield gaskets. The aftermarket stuff tends to not fit well and starts to crack after a short time, especially if exposed to the sun.

I have seen OEM NOS front and rear windshield gaskets sell for $500 for the pair.

The 2 door rear quarter window gaskets are also rare. The ones that seal the window frame to the body show up sometimes and have sold for $500 a pair. The inner seal that holds the glass to the frame are super rare. In 25 years of dealing with 510s, I have never seen a set. (If I had, I would have bought them ;))

Dash pads are also hard to come by. The 68 is probably the most rare followed by the 69. The 70-73 dash pads are getting harder to find in good shape. NOS ones have fetched up to $700 when the economy was better and now about $400-$500. Good used ones go for $100-$200

68 front fender marker lights are rare too. Not sure on prices.

I can't think of more right now but I will ad to the list as I do.

I was just about to talk about weather seals. Qwik beat me to it. I would venture to say that you can easily build a 510 no problem with all the parts you need... The hardest parts will be seals.

Otherwise the rest are just hard to find specialized items that are mostly personal preference or a type of trim level.

Well that helps a bunch. Im looking at a car that is missing parts. Some interior, some wiring, bumpers, motor/trans. The rear quarter vents, seats, probably more I dont know yet. If chances are good I can get the parts I could try. What about fiberglass bumpers?

I've got about 12 bumpers hanging in my garage right now..most are all reconditioned. 69-72.

Like anything else..these parts are getting harder and harder to find.

Reconditioned bumpers sell for about $500 - $750 depending on the seller. I've seen the NOS ones here start at $1000...

Clean grill parts are getting hard to find too. Especially the corner parts that go onto the fenders.

I've got about 12 bumpers hanging in my garage right now..most are all reconditioned. 69-72.

Like anything else..these parts are getting harder and harder to find.

Reconditioned bumpers sell for about $500 - $750 depending on the seller. I've seen the NOS ones here start at $1000...

Clean grill parts are getting hard to find too. Especially the corner parts that go onto the fenders.

Do you have an example photo of the corner parts? What about the c pillar vent or whatever that is behind the quarter window?

Thanks. What about turn signal switch, gauges, pedal assemblies, headlight switch, gas filler neck, heater assembly, tail light housings? Basicly, can you take a shell, and build it into a street car... Or is that just a dumb idea? Would I be better off getting a more complete car?

You can take a shell, and build a street car, there's plenty of parts around to do it. But you'll end up paying through the nose for it probably. In the car world it's *always* cheaper to buy a complete car. If you're looking to buy a shell, and put on all new/NOS/perfect parts, it's going to cost you a fortune.

The guys are spot on with the prices for the perfect parts. The really nice and NOS stuff is stupid expensive lately. You can find all the parts your asking about, in average condition, for relatively cheap. Although prices are going up for decent complete tail light sets. A bumper that isn't perfect, with maybe a ding, or dull finish, can be had for $50-100 or so. The plastic side vents, in average condition are really cheap. Most people like me have multiple sets. The 70-73 grilles, in average condition aren't too expensive. The hard part is finding one that's straight. But again, most of us hoarders have a few extra sets.

Well it's not entirely foolish, but using really nice parts would be prohibitive. The biggest problem with piecing together a shell is the shear number of items you'll need. Don't forget all the tiny oddball stuff like nuts, bolts, knobs, etc. This is one of the reasons it's best to start with a whole, or nearly complete car, because it will likely have all the little things that you don't realize you're missing.

If you can find a shell for a cheap around you, that's worth saving, you'd want to do it using regular items, not mint. Many if the items can be reconditioned yourself, or you can have them done as time and money allow.

Shipping a car across the country will likely be around $800, and take at least a week, or could be up to a month because they need to find other cars to make the load worth while.

But even with the $800 shipping, finding a decent west coast car will save you money in the end, rather than piecing together a junker from scratch.

I can get a shell or two for cheap, but its just the body, glass, and a gas tank, center grill part and a steering box with a rod, a blank dash frame, and nothing else. I was thinking it was hopeless. It may be more than a beginner to 510s can handle. I dont even know what the dash looks like.

If you are not familiar with datsuns buying a stripped shell for a project is a terrible idea. Everything mentioned about cost is true as well as the pain of finding every litte nut and bolt that is missing. Not only that but you can get very discouraged, very quick when you start that far behind on your project. Give it a few days after purchace and it will stop being fun. Buy a complete or almost complete car and ship it if there are none nearby, you'll be much happier.