h4 light conversion

lonnie152

Am new to forum and recent owner of 620 (1978) want to upgrade to H4 lights. in preparation, installed new stock alternator, battery, battery cable, cleaned grounds.

also can i eliminate what seems to be odd headlight connection on top of radiator and simply connect wires permanently?

brake pedal has odd feel (soft). have check shoes, bled system and no change. could this be brake booster or brake bias mechanism?

thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the headlights, the upgrades you made to the charging system are good. I am not sure what you mean by "odd headlight connection", I am not real familiar with 620 trucks.

Stock headlight wattage was 37.5 and 50 watts. H4 conversions are 55 and 60 watts, and you can get 100 watt lamps. the stock headlight wiring will not like the higher current flow caused by the higher wattage. A headlight relay setup is a really good idea with H4 lamps.

There are relay kits available, or you can wire your own. I prefer to wire my own, I use this relay, available from Summit Racing,

http://www.summitrac...d=KC 3300&dds=1

This page give you information about actual wiring.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

thanks for getting back to me. both links were great!

On a related note, i believe it is also possible to make the headlights brighter without going to the expense of an H4 conversion. this modification is sometimes referred to as "brite lights". are you familiar with this and do you know how to accomplish this as well.? any help appreciated.

I have just wired my own. I use this relay.

Relay.jpg

This is a general schematic on how it is wired. For a four headlight system, the high beam lights on each side of the car get a "Y" to power both headlights.

HeadlampRelay.jpg

You can get creative, and put the fuses and relays in a box salvaged form a junkyard.

RelayFuses2.jpg

With a store bought kit, you have to adapt the kit to your car. The kit may not have as large of a gauge of wire as you would like to use.

On the other hand, a store bought kit will have instructions, and you will not have to make and possibly solder all the connections.

The above schematic will not work with a 510, with grounded switching for the headlights. Use this one for wiring the relay coil connections. Because I was lazy, I did not add the extra headlamp to each side of the car. on the plug that goes to the original headlight socket, red is the common connection, Green would be low, blue would be high beams. I would also take the headlight ground back to the engine.

510HeadlampRelay.jpg

This is the plug on the headlights.

headlightplug.jpg

On the headlight plug diagram above, there is a terminal called ground. Think of that as a common terminal that goes to both the low and high beam filament inside the headlight. On a 510, power gets applied the the common terminal all the time, and the headlight switch grounds the headlight relay, and the headlight relay switches between the low and high beams.

there are many H4 kits out there.

I seen a kit from Victory British was under 30$ I believe . Madde in China but works good enough.

I have 2 set from 4 crawlers.com. Its a Ping Pin Mao say Tung version also. On a 510 it was about a 15 min job to put in.

Im not a 620 expert but shold be EZ enough to look on the net to find one or ebay ,amazon or a 4 wheel drive shop. eastwood automotive ectt.........

save this.

This is what the harness shoul look like or is very close to it. H4

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Headlights.shtml#H4Conversion