Better brakes for 240K struts?

dee4

Was just wondering if there was a relatively simple (and inexpensive) front brake upgrade for a 510 with 240K struts?

I see plenty of info on other types, but I don't really know if mine differ much? I dont think I've even seen anything mentioned about 240K's here - did North America not get them?

I probably don't need anything huge as it will only be a street driven goon with a slightly warmed L20B. Any thoughts?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

240K's did come out with a twin piston caliper as well as a single piston one.

e71c35bf.jpg

These are the ones I had on my Goon which have now been replaced with this.

d156cfb2.jpg

Standard K struts with the twin piston calipers and a good quality brake pad are more than adequate for a streetcar.

My two cents worth follows:

If you haven't already got them, buy a good quality set of pads. These guys do good quality performance brake pads.

qfm.com.au

Assuming you've got the twin piston calipers, all will be sweet there.

Another assumption, I'm guessing your running a twin master cylinder and vacumn booster setup?

If yes to all of the above, don't forget to give your back brakes the once over.

Pull the drums off, clean them up, make sure your wheel cylinders are ok and the drum inner surface doesn't have any major groves in them.

I'll dig through my piles of shitnlater today as I think Volvo 4 piston calipers fit. I have a set of these but they are very heavy, and from memory involve a bit of fucking around with the brake lines to fit up.

If I think of anything more relevant I'll post here.

Any questions, shoot me a PM.

Cheers

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Another Q.

If I was to swap to a different strut/brake setup, what would you all recommend?? I see a lot of guys here running 280zx, what is the benefit? Are there any better units that maintain close to stock front track width? Or am I going to have to run more positive offset wheels, etc?

There's a gazillion variants and mostly it depends on three key issues:

1. Your budget

2. Parts availability, and

3. Your mechanical ability

My personal favorite is the setup I've built :). There's a bit of work in making it all bolt together, but IMLTHO worth it in the long run.

180B GX struts and hubs (SSS) are the same

Mitsubishi Verada rotors

VT Commodore calipers

Good brake pads

The other variant is wheel offset ( as you have mentioned).

This will vary from setup to setup.

If you've got your heart set on changing your struts/brakes you might want to consider looking at some of the units Baz from Datsport does!, or if you've got the three key things, build your own setup.

Personally, I'd stick with what I suggested previously (albeit with the twin piston calipers). It will save you a lot of potential grief !

My two cents worth.