Introduction and have few questions?

Datsun R Fun

Hello i have wanted a datsun truck for many years and finally got a 1974 620, that needs extensive work to make it look good, been into computers fish now the datsun truck thing my latest addiction. so i picked up a 1979 620 long bed recently, to add to the collection. now for the questions

can i take the body and bed from the 1979, and mount to the 1974 which is short bed?

also could i pull the brake parts from the 79 and get a pair of beebanis upper control arms to allow me to install the 79's brake gear on the 74 chassis? main reason asking second question is the previous owner dinged up the very front bar on the 1979's chassis and i have not got welder yet so hoping body and bed will fit the 1974 chasis.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are the tension rods that prevent the wheel and LCA (lower control arm) from moving back when hitting bumps or obstacles on the road. A dent in this cross member is fine as long as the tension rods are not affected.

Yes only the cabs will swap '79 to '74.

I would try to fix the '79. It already has disc brakes, L20B, internally regulated alternator, Electronic Ignition and ball joint instead of king pin steering.

... and the torsion bars ARE adjustable.

torsion_bar.jpg

Loosen the top lock nut and turn up out of the way. 'Tighten' the lower nut to raise that side, 'loosen' it to lower. Always tighten the top lock nut when done. Best and easier to raise the front end off the ground when doing this. Set back on the ground and bounce the suspension to stabilize and make your measurement.

thank you for the tips will have get out there and adjust it , looks like on another side note the carrier bearing is shot gonna have to address that. looks like the 74 might become parts donor for the 79. as long as 79 has same length tranny, the front part of drive shaft is interchangeable? just like to make sure i understand what i read

will the distributor form the 79 fit the 74's l18 motor?

definitely would like to fix the 79, and use 74 as donor, but it seems the motor in the 79 is running weak, really weak in comparison to the 74's motor and miss fires and back fires when i get on the throttle under a lot of load, as well as idles really rough. worst case scenario i put the l18 in the 79.

would like to find new camera and show you all what i am working with, i'm complete nube to diagnosing issues so any help would be appreciated.

from what i seen on the spark plugs suggest i got motor problems, couple plugs got carbon deposits, and number 4 has caked on hard black deposits almost thick nuff to cover insulator, electrode, and almost bridges gap . thinking compression check and leak down tests are both in order to evaluate shape of the engine. guess gonna have become acquainted with the FSM.