Wagon Fuel Fill: What am I missing?

So, we only have a couple more items to tend to before my girl can drive her wagon. The major issue is that the fuel fill isn't attached to the downpipe that leads to the tank. Now, the easy solution would be to just attach it, but it seems as though the metal on the fill spout doesn't reach. Observe.

Photo2554.jpgPhoto2560.jpgPhoto2559.jpg

At a glance, it would seem that we just need to pull the metal tube down into the plastic... until you realize that it's as far down as it can go.

Photo2555.jpg

All the holes line up, so I know the top piece is where it ought to be. Then you might say, "Well, it needs to be pulled up." And to that I would say,

Photo2558.jpg

"Checkmate". This is a molded plastic piece that goes into the wheel well. It is formed to the place it is in, and cannot be moved. What's the deal here? All I can figure is that the top metal piece is either wrong, or it has been cut. I'm certain that the plastic wasn't cut, as you can see the witness marks from the hose clamp of where it has permanently sunken into the plastic.

Photo2559.jpg

Has anybody encountered this before? Suggestions? I'm thinking that I may have to remove the metal and tig an extension on to it.. maybe some exhaust piping or something..

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I dont think you are missing anything. DQ had an article about fuel pipes that have shortened over time, and some heat to stretch them back...

Mine is simply the metal elbow at the top with the rubber over it, and my metal piece barely extends down...

Now might be a good time to investigate another filler neck, like maybe a early maxima wagon, so that you can have non spilling gas fill-ups.

Early versus late(PL510) filler neck maybe?

I was wondering if this may be the case..

I'll try and get a pic for you tomorrow. To dark now.

And Micro don't forget about the green wagon at the Boring yard,it still has all the filler peices I beleive.

Yeah, I had thought about that. Maybe I'll swing by there after BL.. good lookin' out.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I didn't look through the DQ's to find it. I was actually about to cut it and use a sized down piece of exhaust tubing, then have it tig'd onto the inlet. Then I figured, "What the hell, why not give it a try?" so J went and got her hairdrier, put some heat to it, and it went from brittle to ultra pliable in a few moments! Had to stretch it slowly, but with some patience, it did what we wanted. I'll let it cool and take a look at it tomorrow just to be sure. We're hoping to get it to Drag the Gut on Saturday.

Oh yea, drag the guy, maybe I should go...

So whats left to make it driveable for everyday use? I consider my car DD'able, but it takes forever to get warm in the winter which isnt very fun, so I dont always want to DD it.

So whats left to make it driveable for everyday use?

Needed a choke cable, which we installed yesterday. Gonna check the brakes, and the carb is flooding.. most likely something trapped in the needle and seat. Other than that, she's drivable. Some aesthetic things, and she'll be ready to rock.