L18 question

what kind of power should i expect to get out of my L18[A87 head] with my l16 manifolds and a weber 32/36? would it be better to go SU's? i am planning on a small rebuild before i drop it in. new gaskets all around. any preferances on small modifications for power increase?

engine is going in a 72 510 four door.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what kind of power should i expect to get out of my L18[A87 head] with my l16 manifolds and a weber 32/36? would it be better to go SU's? i am planning on a small rebuild before i drop it in. new gaskets all around. any preferances on small modifications for power increase?

engine is going in a 72 510 four door.

More or less stock engine, slightly better carb maybe 90s to high 90s ... maybe. Less at the rear wheels.

Gaskets alone won't do much but stop any leaks. So the engine will remain a 30+ year old motor (unless it was rebuilt some when in the past) The Weber may bring it up to like new performance for an L18. If that's all you plan, then while apart, port match the intake and exhaust by using a new gasket as a guide. The Weber will probably have an adapter so smooth any rough edges as it transitions to the intake. I would run an L20B intake as it must have larger runners to match the larger ports in the L20B heads. The A-87 has smaller intake ports than say a U67. I don't know what cam came in the A-87 but if it isn't the same as an L20B cam, then I would get one. Or better yet an after market cam with more lift and duration.

Find an EI dizzy so you have a constantly good spark and don't have to rely on points.

yep..SUs would add a little bit more power but a 32/36 is easier to maintain or adjust. From an L16 to an L18 you feel a little bit more power not much..I just did this swap with a fresh L18 and used the same carb. It all depends on you money situation.. If you have the money and not the know how, you can have someone do a Franskeinstein motor meaning using different heads, mix and match, valves and so on but then the more you do the more challenges and money.

Read this below..

http://www.dimequarterly.tierranet.com/

Good luck on yoru quest.