Custom CNC parts online

Has anybody ever used this service? http://www.emachineshop.com/

I have some machining experience on basic equipment, but don't really have any close friends with CNC equipment. Nor have I really done any CNC for that matter.

I have a small (3" X 6" X 1/4") design I want to make out of aluminum plate. Basically some raised aluminum text on the plate.

Any other services? Maybe I could just use a local machine shop.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not used that specific service but most any machine shop can do simple parts like that. Be sure to quote several shops as labor rate and lead time can vary wildly between place to place. I was once quoted 750 and 2 month lead time for a set of wheel spacers...

Regarding your design are you set on having raised letters? To do raised letters the shop has to buy thicker stock and machine it down. This generally makes the job run longer and raises the price. If you can live with 1/4" plate with some recessed or engraved letters you should be able to get a cheaper price.

I was once quoted 750 and 2 month lead time for a set of wheel spacers...

Thats crazy! I can make wheel spacers in about 15 minutes... a bit longer if you want the ones with studs in them because I would have to tap the holes.

Thats crazy! I can make wheel spacers in about 15 minutes... a bit longer if you want the ones with studs in them because I would have to tap the holes.

These were 1" thick, no studs. I just interpreted it as my quantities were too low for him to want the business.

Thats what it sounds like... no studs and an inch thick would be cake.

I talked with Brody about his design and based on size, the raised lettering will not add any real added cost to the job. Its the application thats a little more difficult, but doable.

These were 1" thick, no studs. I just interpreted it as my quantities were too low for him to want the business.

It just depends how busy the shop is. When I'm really busy my prices for walk in one off stuff go up pretty good. That's where a guy like tristin comes in. If your not running a shop you can do stuff really cheap.

I make spaces on a regular basis. I've never tapped one so I'm not sure how you make yours. Mine are 35MM thick X 6.06 dia And I get $100.00 per set With STUDS pressed in. 6061T651

That sounds more like a solid price. I will say that it fluctuates based on full/empty schedule but usually Im just honest... hey Im pretty busy, but can do it for x-amount... its a bit more than usual prices, but its because you want one thing when Im dealing in bulk right now.

I will say right now, that Im still learning. Im just trying to take on as many smaller gigs as I can to help me get better. Just in the few things Ive done so far my quality has rose exponentially. Now if I could only get this SolidWorks down. They sent the shop retard to the class last week so Im hoping that I can convince them to send me.