Chirping sound coming from my engine

(Update) So since i bought my z there's been a chirping noise from the engine so today after work (first day today) i hitched my bawlz up and started taking the enigne apart (after a dry and wet compresion test) so after taking the cam cover off, heat shield, and emisions whatchmacallit im purty sure ive found the problems or two same thing theres just two of them. so i knew they PO (and only owner besides me) did away with the heater and most emissions stuff however i now believe he may have done a craptastic job as he used low grade brass to cover the holes left over and the enigine melted them to the threads and two of them burst under pressure and im not sure im going to be able to get them off (the melted bolts are attached to what im pretty sure is the header). so is this the reason for the chirping if not what are your professional opinions.

compresion results

photo-261.jpg

at the center that small hole goes all the way in (btw ives got the bolt thats missing there ill get an oic of that tomorow after work)

photo-256.jpg

both problem spots

photo-262.jpg

oics of every thing else

photo-259.jpg

photo-258.jpg

photo-255.jpg

took awhile but i finally got the carbs/manifold off

Photoon2012-07-26at23103.jpg

Took a pic of the of the bolt that fell off when i poked it gently

Photoon2012-07-26at23122.jpg

my little buddy startled me

Photoon2012-07-26at2314.jpg

carbs

Photoon2012-07-26at2310.jpg

Photoon2012-07-26at23102-1.jpg

header and problem spots

Photoon2012-07-26at23103.jpg

Photoon2012-07-26at2311.jpg

Photoon2012-07-26at2312.jpg

you can kinda tell the middle bolt is skewed if i wasnt using the photo booth (no camera) i'd get a good shot of where the leak is on that one, you might be able to make out the tiny hole where whats still attached of the bolt is to the left.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like he pinched off the emissions tubes, and likely one has a small orifice which has since eroded into a shape capable of whistling. A little welding will solve that.

Do you have access to a welder ? like ^^^ he said weld them babies up it works real good..Pictures of mine you could grind it better but once it rusts again they almost disappear .

The chirping is also because there are little tubes that come out the other end into the exhaust stream and they are probably just acting like tiny whistles.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ149.jpg

I do believe I have a welder around here somewhere if i do it needs fuel but if i can get the header off ill just bring it to a machine shop (maybe not we'll have to wait and see) because i dont have alot of time anymore (I have alot of other things on this car to start worrying about)