Headlight relay 71 510

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that I don't have a relay. The headlights worked, but after taking out the gauge cluster and glove box, I found the wiring rigged. I still don't understand how they worked without it, but they do.... The type that I need is the one with the plug.

I do not have a 510 handy to test this idea on, but here is my thoughts. I believe the six pin relay is used because the two sides of the car are isolated until after the relay, then the red with yellow stripe wire has a "Y" and a single wire goes to the head light switch.

Get two of the normal Bosch cube relays. Hook the coil of the two relays in parallel, and get the two relays clicking. I am not sure on this, but I think the power for the relay coil comes from the parking light circuit, and the coil is grounded by the turn signal switch.

I think the high beam wires are red with a white stripe, one from each side of the car. Hook one wire to pin 87A on one relay, then other red with white wire to pin 87A on the second relay.

I think the low beam wires are red with a black stripe, again, one from each side of the car. Hook one wire to pin 87 on one relay, then other red with white wire to pin 87 on the second relay.

Hook the red with yellow stripe wires to pin 30 of each relay.

I think that will make your head lights work, but again, I do not have a 510 to test my ideas on.

Except he has a 71, and the 6 pin can be replaced with a 5 pin, because 2 of the pins are connected in the harness as ground, (the 2 black wires coming out).

And Red/Yellow never goes to the headlight relay in a 71, just to the fusebox, where it then sends power to the fuses to the Red and Red/blue wires.

But you should be able to do Blacks tied together to pin 30, Red/Black to 87a, Red/white to 87, Green/blue to 86, and black/red to 85.

But someone should be able to give you a relay.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.