Andy's 1200 Ute

Hi guys I am new to the forum and I thought that I would start with some photo's of a Datsun ute that I have as a project, it was meant to be a daily driver but after further inspection it has turned out to be in worse shape that I originally thought.

But the ute has had some mods done to it so I feel thats its worth the work that is needed to be put into it.

The engine has had some work to it, has a sports cam, webber carby, oval ported head, extractors with a full exhaust system, its been lowered and has monroe struts on the rear.

Anyways heres some pics of where I am upto sofar.

38474639.jpg

78999571.jpg

31880152.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea unfortunatly they still rust, the thing I have found with the utes is they are used as more as a workhorse so they do not tend to be looked after as well as your family sedan's, And left out side in the elements more.

I live in the U.S. - southeast. My brother lives in Africa. I visited him and saw these 1200 "bucky's" UTE's everywhere, and I thought they were the greatest - but everyone there just thought they were the loweliest of the low - I figured,,, Yep! ... Datsun's rock.

I still, and probably always will, appreciate minimalist cars - especially when they're lot's o' fun and have max utility.

In some parts of Australia the 1200 Utes are becomming very rare, personally I think they have alot of character compared to alot of the newer cars, and they are still very useable & reliable.

The idea of this project is not to make it into a show car, I really just want a nice tidy daily runabout.

The next Datsun will be something more special.

At the moment I am battleing with the paint as thier are 4 different layers of colour on the car, two white one black and the last metalic blue colour so its very time consuming removing all of the old paint but atleast in my mind I am doint it properly.

Thanks

Andy

What's your process for removing the paint? Here Stateside a common paint remover is called aircraft stripper. It usually comes in a metal container and can be purchased at a local automotive store. You just paint it on, let it sit, and then wash it off with some water. It does wonders for removing paint. I wouldn't care how many layers of paint you have on there... It will eat through it all.

Well sofar I have primer on one of the doors now, on that door I just used good old sandpaper lol.

But on the other door I will be useing paint stripper for sure, I do not have to worry about the panels as they are all going to be replaced with new ones.

Im glad I only have two doors :)