Solid720

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi volume pumps That I have 'harvested' came from:

All KA24E RWD only!

240sx after '89, D-21 Hardbodies after '88?

I haven't seen a KA24DE but suspect the oil pump may be crank driven in the timing cover.

All Z24i motors

'86 720 and '86.5-'88 D-21 Hardbody and Pathfinder. The Z24i is a throttle body injection motor not to be confused with the ECC 'electro carb' motor of similar years. The throttle body injection will have two wing nuts holding the filter on, the ECC (carb) will only have one.

L28 motor from early '80 280Z car with turbo and automatic.

LD28 (diesel) motor from the 810/Maxima

In Japan the Z18ET motor is rumored to have the hi-volume pump.

There is no way to tell if a pump is hi-vol or not from the outside, if it is mounted on a motor. If you have a hi-vol pump and look down the oval oil inlet port, beside the drive spindle, you can just make out that the internal rotors are taller than the regular pumps. The internal rotors are 14% longer on a hi-vol compared to a regular pump.

These pumps are a great up-grade for any L or Z series motor 4 or 6 cylinder. Even a used one from a wrecker is far and away better than the stock one. As an example: My 300,000 km L20B had a hot idle oil pressure of about 17 lbs. I put a hi-vol pump from a scrapped Hardbody Z24i on it, and hot idle pressure rose to 29 lbs. The max running pressure doesn't change really because of the regulator spring setting. So if you have shimmed your pump for higher pressure, just swap the spring and shims into the new pump. I always take the pump apart and check the rotors. You never know if the engine is blown, and all the metal particles find their way into, and grind the pump up. I have several laying around and got them all for free or >$10. If they want more, just ask if they pay for a new motor if it blows up because of a failed pump... That, always brings the price down! If ordering one make damn sure you get what you pay for. A reg pump looks the same and could 'accidentally' end up in the wrong box.

Here's a picture of the difference in rotor lengths. Stock is 1.38" Hi-Vol is 1.57". I know it doesn't look like much but there's a BIG difference:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0195.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0195.jpg

Hi volume pumps That I have 'harvested' came from:

All KA24E RWD only!

240sx after '89, D-21 Hardbodies after '88?

I haven't seen a KA24DE but suspect the oil pump may be crank driven in the timing cover.

All Z24i motors

'86 720 and '86.5-'88 D-21 Hardbody and Pathfinder. The Z24i is a throttle body injection motor not to be confused with the ECC 'electro carb' motor of similar years. The throttle body injection will have two wing nuts holding the filter on, the ECC (carb) will only have one.

L28 motor from early '80 280Z car with turbo and automatic.

LD28 (diesel) motor from the 810/Maxima

In Japan the Z18ET motor is rumored to have the hi-volume pump.

There is no way to tell if a pump is hi-vol or not from the outside, if it is mounted on a motor. If you have a hi-vol pump and look down the oval oil inlet port, beside the drive spindle, you can just make out that the internal rotors are taller than the regular pumps. The internal rotors are 14% longer on a hi-vol compared to a regular pump.

These pumps are a great up-grade for any L or Z series motor 4 or 6 cylinder. Even a used one from a wrecker is far and away better than the stock one. As an example: My 300,000 km L20B had a hot idle oil pressure of about 17 lbs. I put a hi-vol pump from a scrapped Hardbody Z24i on it, and hot idle pressure rose to 29 lbs. The max running pressure doesn't change really because of the regulator spring setting. So if you have shimmed your pump for higher pressure, just swap the spring and shims into the new pump. I always take the pump apart and check the rotors. You never know if the engine is blown, and all the metal particles find their way into, and grind the pump up. I have several laying around and got them all for free or >$10. If they want more, just ask if they pay for a new motor if it blows up because of a failed pump... That, always brings the price down! If ordering one make damn sure you get what you pay for. A reg pump looks the same and could 'accidentally' end up in the wrong box.

Here's a picture of the difference in rotor lengths. Stock is 1.38" Hi-Vol is 1.57". I know it doesn't look like much but there's a BIG difference:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0195.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0195.jpg

Thanks for the info. I pulled this from the advanced autoparts site. I am going to buy a new pump, since I do not have any sources here for a used piece.

High Volume:$82.96

m111.jpg

Std Volume: $62.96

m90.jpg