L20b vs Z20

datsunfish

Theres a hl510 in poulsbo with a 4 plug z20 that has the 6 hole flex plate I need. The thing is I have to pull the motor myself to get to it and they want to sell me the whole thing. I have been wanting more go in the 510 with auto and have considered just doing the L20b I have but wouldnt the z20 with a L head rock just as well?Pros cons?They quoted me $150 at the counter and $175 on"" on my receipt, in?? condition for the motor,and its the rare 4 plug with the standard dizzy mount. These parts may be of interest to someone who doesnt want the 8 plug.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't let them jack the price on you. Grab the motor and tranny. Is the tranny the same length as the one you have? if it is, never hurts to have a spare. The Z20 has the same fully counterweighted crank as the L20B and the pistons are likely flat tops with tiny eyebrows cut in them. The rods are also likely 152.5mm and will fit an L20B making it a long rod high comp motor. The dizzy is a four plug and will also fit an L20B. Not sure about the dizzy base, I know the box is differently positioned on this motor, maybe 180 out? Alt. oil pump, water pump & clutch fan, timing chain and gears, guides will all fit an L20B.

A z20 with an L head will be basically an L20B: no gain unless it has the 152.5mm rods and pistons. The Z20E motor for the 200sx did, I don't know about the carb type. The Z20 could now be tilted to the pass side like an L20B and could use the L pattern automatic. Note that the dipstick is on the drivers side at the back under the exhaust manifold and you could not use the Z20 pan. You will need to put an L20B timing cover on too.

See if you can find a Z22 motor. Put all the L20B timing gear and head on and you've got a screamer. 10% displacement increase and higher comp. with L head. One of the guys on The Realm has a mild cam LZ22 with side drafts and gets 132 RWHP.

The 4 plug head wouldn't be worth anything... well unless you had one of these cars or an '80-'81 200sx non-Calli car.

I have a chance to get the engine from a '81 200SX for free (or not much money). I planned to grab all the fuel injection bits, since I'd just read the Dime Quarterly article that FI'd an L head using mostly early SX parts. Now I'm thinking I should grab the whole engine. If an L head were put on the Z20E, would there be any problem running regular gas? I'm a bit hazy on the long rods and pistons and compression ratio. I know a Z22 would be better, but no one is offering one of those for free.

Actually, I'll have to confess I'm tempted to get the entire 200SX and get it running. I hate to see it go to the crusher, even though it has an auto trans. My 510 is still not running, and when I had a small wiring fire in my '79 200SX a month ago, I realized I should have another Datsun for back up. An '81 200SX isn't exactly my dream car, but cheap/free goes a long way toward winning my love.

Len

Putting an L head on a Z20E would produce a compression of 10.0 and you would want a custom intake for the EFI. I guy in Spokane cut a chunk from the middle of an L28 intake and re-welded it together to make an L20B intake with injector mounts. The 200sx is a two piece with the individual runners joining to the bottom main chamber behind the throttle plate. Four straight round aluminum tubes with flanges at each end. Bolt to the head and lay the chamber on it's side and bolt to the bottom. Hmmm.

A long rod L20B would rev more freely. The auto tranny would be a long tail.