Parking (brake) light indicator not working.

This is the only issue that's holding back my 510 to be able to be on the streets, again. I've check all the simple possible issues like fuse, bulb, and connection and now I'm at a lost! Here's the weird thing....it works off and on but that's not good enough for the brake and lamp inspector. I'm 99% done with all the necessary things for my 510 to be legal and this is the 1% that's kicking my butt. Any help will do.

Thanks,

S.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can't figure something out by tomorrow then that would be cool.

Yeah, there's a parking brake light indicator on the cluster. There's a switch on the back of the parking brake unit and it looks fine and connected but some reason the light indicator works off and on.

it stands to reason, then, that the problem is with the switch or how the switch is mounted.

Well as you know the switch is a spring loaded momentary switch with just one wire. It's not disconnected or messed with in any way. The mounting I would assume it's fine because when releasing the parking brake it's in the correct position for contact to/with the switch. From the looks of everything it's fine....that's why I don't get why it's not lighting up.

It's fixed and yes people inspect things like this. It's pretty much required in all states if you are trying to revive any automobile.

I'm sorry, but GGzilla made no sense to me, but it doesn't matter because it's fixed now and over with.

There was a good amount of rust on the back of the switch and the surrounding ground area. Fcuking unbelievable how the previous owner just ignored the car and gave me all these little headaches (that's a whole other topic by itself). Anyways, cleaned off all the rust and the sand papered the mount/ground area down to the metal for better ground contact and now it's good. Waited 3 hours at the DMV for my number to be called and then less then 5 minutes for my plates and registration to be handed over. Lastly, all I have to do know is add the wagon to my insurance and DONE.

Word to the wise: Don't buy a car from a dumb ass who thinks it's cool to fcuk things up due to their lack of appreciation of the car. Failed HID attempt and bolting the front seats to the floor board = punch to the face.