L18 5 speed trans. fluid

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pic, no (I'm sure someone does) but all L-series manual transmissions have the filler on the SIDE. Typically the driver's side. It'll be a plug with a square head. Sometimes they're 1/2" square socket heads, but usually not.

They sell gear oil pumps that fit the standard bottle, otherwise you'll need a funnel and a REALLY long hose.

Make sure you get the right oil. GL4.

As noted, itll be midway back on the trans, in the middle of the side of the case. Mine has a square "head" on it that a large crecent wrench easily breaks loose. You can use a gear oil pump that attatches to a bottle, or an old school pump oiler. Takes around 2 quarts or so. You can use 20w-50 motor oil. It works the just same as the gear oil, only makes shifts smoother and frees up a bit of horsepower.

Get 3 feet of garden hose and a kitchen funnel from a $1 store. Run the hose down and into the transmission from the engine compartment and fill and let run in. When it dribbles out beside the hose it's full enough, replace the plug. Do not use motor oil. Find 80 or 90W GL-4 transmission oil that is marked 'Yellow Metal Safe' or is safe to use with copper alloys. Do not use GL-5 even if it says it exceeds GL-4 specifications. Of course it exceeds GL-4, as it contains over 50% more sulphur compounds that increase the extreme pressure lubricant rating but also attack the copper alloy synchro rings in a transmission. Differentials need this protection because the gears work differently than in a transmission. Be sure to get a yellow metal friendly gear oil, it's are getting harder to find these days.

also, don't over-tighten the filler or drain plugs - the casing is aluminium - imagine the PIA if you strip one (I just had to use a breaker bar to get the drain plug out of mine - thanks to the idiot who last worked on my transmission)

There's also the dissimilar metals. Over time the aluminum tends to grip steel tighter. You tighten it to a set amount but later it takes more than that to snap it loose.

Put some anti seize compound on the threads.