Is there any part numbers for a 5 speed?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That I don't kno. I was ripping disk brakes off a 83 720. The spindle and all came to look more at this truck. So I asked myself if it had or has a 5 speed which would be better then the 4

I bet they made it in 76 called it a 77

Practically all cars/trucks made in late 1976 -- Fords, Datsuns, whatever -- were 1977 models. The model year traditionally starts in October, but for same model even earlier, although sometimes later.

You can buy 2013 cars now. Even though last time I checked it was still 2012.

The first 5 speed was an option on the '77 model year which could have a production date of as early as June '76. The shift knob may say 5 speed and there may be a badge or a decal but after 35 years, anything could have been swapped into it to keep it on the road.

The best way is to identify the transmission yourself by looking at it. A four speed will have a narrow rectangular cover plate held on with 6 bolts and have a small round breather vent on it. It is located on top of the tailstock several inches forward of the shifter.

CopyofF4W71Bfrom75620001LargeLarge.jpg

F4W71B240Z.jpg

The five speed will not have this.

79KC5spd.jpg

It should bolt right into a '74. To be sure measure the length... it should be 31.5" long, same as the 5 speed. Use your release bearing collar that's attached to the clutch arm on your 4 speed. They should be the same but just to be safe. The collar is matched to your L18's pressure plate and should be kept with it. Pull the old bearing off and replace it now. Sure as shittin' it will start making noises next month if you don't, and that means taking the tranny out for a $20 part. Yes spend the money on a good one.

Releasebearingcollarwithbearing.jpg

No. You would not need to change out the flywheel, in fact you already have the rare 225mm 5-bolt clutch IF your engine/transmission is original (or at least your flywheel is). Either way, doesn't matter, just use the throwout collar from your EXISTING setup, not the one from the donor (it should be the same, but sometimes isn't).

Identifying a 5-speed: Only surefire way is to look at the transmission. Having the 5-speed sticker on the tailgate isn't a sure thing. The dataplate will not give any indication; they didn't ID the gearbox on the dataplates until 1980-81.

Oh, and the reason for the 2 dates is that the truck truly has 2 manufacture dates. You have the date it was built in Japan, and the date it was "assembled" in the US. It was a way to get around the "chicken tax", which is a 25% tarriff on light trucks imported into the US. By doing final assembly (bolting the beds on) in the US it didn't qualify as an import, until that loophole was closed in 1980. Which is why all light trucks for the US market are built in North America now unless shipped in as CKD units.