Help! Battery sparks like crazy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, the wire can't be too old. That would not cause sparking. Shorting would cause it, but that does not occur due to age.

Is this wire White with Black stripe?

First, test the wire. With wire disconnected from alternator:

* Verify read 12V on this wire (other end of voltmeter on battery NEG terminal)

* Confirm it is not shorted. Put red lead of voltmeter on battery POS terminal, black lead to this wire. It should read 0V

If the reading is incorrect, trace the whole length of that wire. It is supposed to go directly to the Fusible Link. It's wrapped in the wiring harness, so inspect that portion of the harness for cuts/alterations/damage. Find the other end of the wire. Where is it connected to?

Ok so I got a chance of sunshine today and checked my wires and the neg to wire reads 12.3 volts and posi to wire reads 0...and I traced the wire it goes from alt to fusible link to ignition switch. Any other stuff I should try out? I've been cleaning out whatever wires I don't really need to make it easier for myself haha

Connect the voltmeter to the battery POS terminal and the ALT BAT wire. It should read 12V

Connect the voltmeter to the battery NEG terminal and the ALT E wire. It should read 12V

If that's what you find, connect those two wires to the alternator. But don't connect the T-connector yet. If there are no sparks, then try the T-connector. You gotta narrow it down. Exactly what is sparking?

Perhaps it would be beneficial if you posted some good photographs of how you have the wires connected. Maybe a member will have additional helpful suggestions after that.

Make sure that any insulating rubber/plastic washer(s) on the battery terminal of the alternator is not missing (causing the heavy gauge positive cable to contact the alternators grounded case).