R180 LSD Identification

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like it has a regular 2-pinion diff. The 4-pinion diff has four shaft-ends visible when you rotate the case.

4-pinion 2-way LSD

lsd-nismo.jpg

Sorry for my ignorance, but shaft-ends? Does the smooth, polished part on the housing denote an end? Thanks!

Ah, so this can be viewed through the holes. I'll have to inspect it further when I get home. This was posted for sale on here and I did some research. Based on what I learned about their increasing rarity, I figured it couldn't hurt to buy it, even without knowing 2 vs. 4 pinion. Judging by the stamping, I'm thinking that it's a 3.36, which isn't exactly good for autocross. Can I swap a different ring and pinion from an open to the LSD?

Actually you can see one end of spider shaft in photo. They are the "hole" that's about 1" diameter. If you have two, it's a 2-pinion-gear model. The photo doesn't show all sides of the differential. But in the Nismo photo you can see 2 shaft ends.

Confirmed 2 pinion. Hopefully this will be strong enough for spirited drivng and the occasional autocross. Thanks to everybody's assistance for this noob dilemma. The markings are still perplexing. The stamp would indicate a 3.36 gearing but there is marker stating 4.11. I dunno.

stamps: 3711 does not indiate a 3.36 gearing. You can read the numbers on the edge on the Ring gear, it will say 37/9 for a 4.111 ratio, etc. Divide the two numbers.

For the noobs that may be reading, an LSD doesn't have anything to do with the gear ratio. The same LSD unit can be bolted into many different ratios.